Start/Stop VM on load of other VM

Pavlinchen

Nov 30, 2021
Hi Guys!
I'm trying to use capacity when it's not needed for the main application (VM1) for some folding@home (VM2) but I don't want VM2 to influence VM1s performance if needed.
So I asked myself if it was possible to start/stop a VM based on the CPU load of another VM (on the same node) without compromising on having to dedicate ressources to only one or the other?

TIA!

Last edited:
Nothing built in as far as I know.
You could probably do this using LXC's and monitoring from the host node and issuing lxc freeze commands as needed.
Don't know about KVM's though.

Nothing built in as far as I know.
You could probably do this using LXC's and monitoring from the host node and issuing lxc freeze commands as needed.
Don't know about KVM's though.
Hey Mate thanks for the response,
I was afraid, that was the case.
I'll have a look into the ProxMox API and worst case build my own.

Take care and stay healthy!

So Update; I checked in with the APIs and it may be possible.
I'll post the script here, once it's written.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!