SPICE over WAN performance

Semmo

May 27, 2019
Hi,

i try to use a vm with fedora workstation with spice over wan. But the performance is really bad and I don't know what to do next. My server has a 1GBit/sync connection and my client 100Mbit/sync connection. But even with that the desktop lags really bad. Even the password typing is slow as hell. There is no wifi used.

I set the vm.conf in /etc/pve/qemu-server with following args:
-spice image-compression=auto_glz,streaming-video=off,playback-compression=off,jpeg-wan-compression=always,zlib-glz-wan-compression=always

Any other ways to optimize this?

on a current version sadly this will not do anything if you have enabled spice via our tools, because qemu only interprets the
first '-spice' argument it finds (and the args are at the very end) so you would have to set the display to something else
and emulate all spice devices in the args

you can do a 'qm showcmd ID --pretty' with and without spice and see the difference

addendum, well i'll be damned, tried it again and now it uses the last '-spice' parameter it find (in qemu 4.0) so what i wrote is only true for qemu 3.0 on pve 5.4

This screams for the option to add own args to the spice settings via the webinterface ;) Is there no other way to add those arguments?

so i need to remove the spice videocard in the webinterface and put the qxl-vga device with my spice settings (and the first spice line gereated by proxmox) to the args manually.

But then:
  • will l have two different vga devices in my vm?
  • how can i connect to his via the proxmox webinterface? The spice option would be disabled then i think
EDIT: I use proxmox 5.4 with qemu 3

Hi,

i try to use a vm with fedora workstation with spice over wan. But the performance is really bad and I don't know what to do next. My server has a 1GBit/sync connection and my client 100Mbit/sync connection. But even with that the desktop lags really bad. Even the password typing is slow as hell. There is no wifi used.

-spice image-compression=auto_glz,streaming-video=off,playback-compression=off,jpeg-wan-compression=always,zlib-glz-wan-compression=always

Any other ways to optimize this?

I assume you run Gnome on Wayland? Deadly slow on spice,

=> change to Gnome on Xorg.

This screams for the option to add own args to the spice settings via the webinterface ;) Is there no other way to add those arguments?
sadly no, but additional options for spice are planned

• will l have two different vga devices in my vm?
only if you select any videocard other than 'none' or 'serialX'

• how can i connect to his via the proxmox webinterface? The spice option would be disabled then i think
yeah, you are right, this will not work.... mhmm

I assume you run Gnome on Wayland? Deadly slow on spice,

=> change to Gnome on Xorg.

Thanks for that hint! It's a bit better but still not very usable.

sadly no, but additional options for spice are planned

only if you select any videocard other than 'none' or 'serialX'

yeah, you are right, this will not work.... mhmm

Ah! I did not remember that there's a "none" option. I'll try that.

Maybe i can access it directly but that's not very user friendly ;) is there any way to set an authentication method for spice? Because the webinterface auth is bypassed then *search*

EDIT: Hmm... there's more to setup then.. encryption and authentication -.-

Last edited:
But the performance is really bad and I don't know what to do next.

In the beginning of 2019, I evaluated a virtualized Debian Stretch with SPICE and wine to play old games like Anno 1602 and it worked quite well over the internet. I had ping times of 23ms and I experienced a very small lag. Even sound worked but that increased the latency a bit. In a local setup, it worked flawless.

Yet I only worked with the Linux SPICE client, the Windows SPICE client is just not good and slow in general.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!