Spice Multiple Monitors Ubuntu 20.04 VM

TheCrowFather

Mar 22, 2021
blog.gravitywall.net
I'm struggling to get Spice on an Ubuntu 20.04 VM to show multiple monitors.

My VM is set to SPICE Dual Monitor (qxl2, Memory=128), I have installed the current version of spice-vdagent on the VM, and I'm using virt-viewer 11.0 (released November 18th).

When Spice Connects the top menu shows 4 displays but clicking on any of them does nothing (clicking on Display 1 closes the Virt-Viewer session).

xrandr only shows a single display.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Reactions: jebbam
for Linux guests, it should be enough to use the single spice display (qxl). Windows needs the other options if you want more displays.

I gave it a try with a freshly installed Ubuntu 20.04 and the display set to spice (qxl) alone and am able to add more screens (remote viewer / virt-viewer 7.0 on debian bullseye)

for Linux guests, it should be enough to use the single spice display (qxl). Windows needs the other options if you want more displays.

I gave it a try with a freshly installed Ubuntu 20.04 and the display set to spice (qxl) alone and am able to add more screens (remote viewer / virt-viewer 7.0 on debian bullseye)
I think the issue was a user problem (me). When I activated the second display it activated behind the first window so I didn't see it.

It works fine for me now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!