do?

Ok, it will be more and more stranger.
Code:
file Download
Download: ASCII text, with very long lines
This is ok, but
Code:
xdg-open download
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Parse error in  "/home/user/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu" , line  1 , col  1 :  "unexpected end of file"
The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/display-im6.q16.desktop" has Type= "Application" but no Exec line
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Invalid Service :  "/usr/share/applications/display-im6.q16.desktop"
The desktop entry file "/usr/share/applications/display-im6.desktop" has Type= "Application" but no Exec line
kf5.kservice.sycoca: Invalid Service :  "/usr/share/applications/display-im6.desktop"
I've moved "Download" to "Download.vv", but the same... what does this mean?

This files exists but they are empty: "/home/user/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu", "/usr/share/applications/display-im6.q16.desktop"

what does it say? And what does
Code:
xdg-open download
do?
And this opens the file in Chrome. Why, is not clear to me.

I've moved "Download" to "Download.vv", but the same... what does this mean?
It just means that that *buntu cares more about magic numbers than filename extensions. Which is good, I guess.
The stuff after xdg-open download tells you that you have a bunch of invalid files. You can see if they belong to any package and update the package, if possible, or delete them otherwise. The application shouldn't show up in your menu anyway. Or at least not because of those files.
The file opening in chrome might be due to an association in ~/.config/mimeapps.list. I don't know if *buntu has any non-standard dirs that it reads .desktop entries from. If it does they should be documented in one of the xdg-* manpages.
You can check whether your spice file is recognised as the correct mime-type with
Code:
xdg-mime query filetype <path/to/download>
, which should be 'application/x-virt-viewer' and which application is associated with that mime-type with
Code:
xdg-mime query default application/x-virt-viewer

Nice, even that is right...
Code:
~/Downloads/ xdg-mime query filetype Download
application/x-virt-viewer
~/Downloads/ xdg-mime query default application/x-virt-viewer
remote-viewer.desktop
I think i know why other the teeth to have disengaged...

With those settings I'm able to open the file directly from the browser, from nautilus or via xdg-open. If your system uses something else it ignores the xdg settings and does something funky. Not that that would be a big surprise for *buntu ;)

With those settings I'm able to open the file directly from the browser, from nautilus or via xdg-open. If your system uses something else it ignores the xdg settings and does something funky. Not that that would be a big surprise for *buntu ;)
So i'am right when i say it works like: You click in PVE Webinterface on Konsole and without anotherclick on the downloaded file spice open directly?

Click -> Select 'Open' -> Tadaa

Gnome on PVE. Normally using Vivaldi, hence the "select 'Open'". With chromium it's Shell > SPICE > click download file in the bar on the bottom.

Reactions: fireon
click download file in the bar on the bottom.
Ok, Ok, .... this is the same like here. This works, but this are two click, console and the bar on the bottom. So not really directly ;) Ok so it's clear, the problem can't be solved. It is how i thinked an chromeproblem...

It's possible to select "always open files of this type" but chrome seems to rely on filename extensions for identification.

I use chrome on linux mint (ubuntu) and the file which is downloaded when selecting the spice button has no .vv extension, it is just called 'download' and since there is no extension it is hard to associate it with chrome. On Firefox it does work correctly.

Any pointers on how you did this? I can't get it to work on either Firefox or Chrome. I'm also on an Ubuntu desktop.
Chrome wants to download the file "download" Firefox ask me to download the file "EBAx1nMR".

I had same problems on google-chrome. It always just downloads a "download" file. noVNC button launches a proper application but SPICE button always just downloads. Anyone solved this issue?

Bump? FF on Linux opens the "download" in virt-viewer for me but Chromium browsers try to save the Spice file. It would be great if there was a way to improve this somehow.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!