SPF not working.

abckdc

Oct 29, 2021
Hello All,

I am to to this Proxmox email gateway. We have just deployed Proxmox gateway in cluster in our company and it's working great. We have enabled the feature of SPF check (Use SPF option is set to YES). But the emails with same from/to domain are getting delivered. Emails form abc@xyz.com is being delivered to bcd@xyz.com. The sender IP is not published under SPF record for the domain and the SPF record is set to Hard Fail(-). The sender IP is also not whitelisted. Upon checking the tracing center connection for the email we only found the following logs related to SPF. Is the issue related to DNS; that the gateway is not able to request DNS server for TXT records for the domain due to connection limitation. But we are using our own DNS server. Did we miss something during the configuration.

09:23:35 mx-01 pmg-smtp-filter[1013047]: 3C160661BC063A42179: SA score=0/5 time=1.353 bayes=0.00 autolearn=no autolearn_force=no hits=AWL(0.002),BAYES_00(-1.9),KAM_DMARC_STATUS(0.01),RDNS_NONE(0.793),SPF_HELO_NONE(0.001),T_SPF_PERMERROR(0.01)

I am extremly sorry if the problem is already stated on this forum. I was unable to find something similar to my issue.

Thank You.

could you please share the complete logs of the timeframe when this mail mad it through? (e.g. from 09:00 until 09:50)

on a hunch - the SPF checking is only happening on the external port of PMG

I hope this helps!

I experience this exact issue. I can send e-mails from mydomain.com to mydomain.com using an SMTP Test Tool in Windows. And my domain do have a hard faill (-all) in the SPF.

As said above - please share the complete logs for such a mail - else it's not possible to see what's happening...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!