[SoYouStart] rEFInd/Grub Boot Error (Upgrading Proxmox 6 to 7)

This also worked for me, go into BIOS change first boot device to OS. It also renamed my network devices. Use ip -c link to see the dev names and edit your /etc/network/interfaces accordingly.
rEFInd is used by OVH in order to provide the rescue for your server in cas something goes wrong, it is loaded from a PXE on OVH's infrastructure, it is not installed inside the server. It also allows the installation of the OS from OVH.
By changing the boot order, you actually skip this rEFInd, and prevent the OVH from working with your server in the future (rescue or reinstallation)! And in this case it does not prevent the grub of proxmox from updating a wrong EFI partition in the future, so be carefull anyway... :)

rEFInd is used by OVH in order to provide the rescue for your server in cas something goes wrong, it is loaded from a PXE on OVH's infrastructure, it is not installed inside the server. It also allows the installation of the OS from OVH.
By changing the boot order, you actually skip this rEFInd, and prevent the OVH from working with your server in the future (rescue or reinstallation)! And in this case it does not prevent the grub of proxmox from updating a wrong EFI partition in the future, so be carefull anyway... :)
Ah ok, so I'll need to revert to reinstall / rescue ok. Proxmox 7 has been out ages, OVH really need to make it available as a template it would save them and us a lot of hassle.

Ah ok, so I'll need to revert to reinstall / rescue ok. Proxmox 7 has been out ages, OVH really need to make it available as a template it would save them and us a lot of hassle.
I would also say that they NEED to document the specifics of their installation templates, the fact they use two (or more) EFI partitions is not documented anywhere i believe. Yes they should provide newer templates, it would be much better!
But here an update to grub would be halfway done is our situation, an EFI partition would be updated but not the other! then if a drive crashed, the server might not boot if available EFI partitions were not up to date...

I ended up going into the BIOS boot menu on the server via IPMI and changing the boot order to GRUB as priority. Not sure why rEFInd was even on the server to begin with, but that's just another OVH thing I'm sure with their Proxmox images.

If your server does not have IPMI (which some SYS servers don't have, if I recall), then I'm not really sure how you'd adjust it. I think the servers that don't have IPMI are the ASUS boards that SYS uses on their cheaper models. There might be someone who's more sure on how to do this though.
Hi, I have the same issue on a new fresh server trying to update from V6 to V7 (imag template in V§ fromOVH run fine but when I upgrade to Vè I encounter this error also.
Vhere in IPMI do you change the boot order ?
Thx

Hi, I have the same issue on a new fresh server trying to update from V6 to V7 (imag template in V§ fromOVH run fine but when I upgrade to Vè I encounter this error also.
Vhere in IPMI do you change the boot order ?
Thx
Reboot the server in IPMI, press del / F12 whatever it says to go into setup you can change the boot order there. Remember - to reinstall via the OVH web page you need to revert this to rEFI before it will work.

@Neox Thank you Thank you for sharing that!

On OVH (Soyoustart) as well. Of course they are no help... with IPMI access, I simply had to:
Remove net.ifnames=0 from /etc/default/grub
Save changes to your grub
Reboot bam! Fixed

See screen shot of what i removed and save it worked for me!

My server is responding again! I'm so very very happy!!! You save my week! been working on it forever! (so stressing about this situation!)

Thanks to @Obi_Yoann too!

Attachments

• grub2.PNG
    grub2.PNG
    117.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!