Sound on KVM

argh

May 9, 2008
I have a couple of Xp vm's, on a headless server. (Proxmox of course).
Access to those are provided through RDP, and I'd like to have sound on my remote sessions. To accomplish this the VM need to have sound "hardware" installed.

I know how to use the -soundhw parameter when starting KVM forom commandline; but i can't find where to put the parameters when building/starting from Proxmox.
It looks as if the config-file for the vm (/etc/qemu-server/102.conf) is the right place; but I can't find any documentation for the file.

So if anybody can point me in the right direction, I'll be very grateful!

regards,
Anders

To use sound with RDP you need to start RDP with sound support. AFAIK there is no need to use the -soundhw option (that would output sound to the host, which is not what you want).

- Dietmar

Last edited:
You are right, of course. :)
The reason I'm not getting sound is something else.
The RDP sounddriver is active, but for some reason I get no sound.
It seems the Xp Vm ignores my efforts to unmute. :-D

Another issue I've encountered is that no disks (images) shows up in the volumemanager in Xp, thus I am unable to partition / format my second image. qcow2 image; the vm find i, but I have no way to access it.

Any ideas?

You are right, of course. :)
The reason I'm not getting sound is something else.
The RDP sounddriver is active, but for some reason I get no sound.
It seems the Xp Vm ignores my efforts to unmute. :-D

Hi,

on my box sound via RDP client works. I just installed a standard WinXP SP2 and I am connected via the MS RDP client from another WinXP desktop - which RDP client do you use, maybe its a an issue on the client? turn volume on ;-)?

Another issue I've encountered is that no disks (images) shows up in the volumemanager in Xp, thus I am unable to partition / format my second image. qcow2 image; the vm find i, but I have no way to access it.

Any ideas?

you mean the disk management in WinXP? interesting, I had never issues here. if I add a second disk it appears on WinXP.

On the console:
Code:
qemu-img create -f qcow2 winxp-hdb.qcow2 20G
and add this line to the config file.
Code:
nano /etc/qemu-server/XYZ.conf

hdb: /var/lib/vz/images/winxp-hdb.qcow2
do you have admin rights on the win box? all test here are done with WinXP SP2 and SP3. maybe you should try to do a fresh install to see if the problem exists in other installations as well.

Using Vista RDP client, the sound is on... ;-)
I'm going to create a new xp vm - see if I can get rid of both problems.

The Xp I used in my previous intallations are heavily tweaked; could be the problem right there.

Does the KVM in proxmox support pci-passthroough yet? I know the KVM devels is working on it.

Still no luck.
I've installed 3 different Xp versions, all of which give me sound on RDP when installed on bare metal. In KVM/Qemu the RDP Sounddriver is active and selected, but in the sound-properties the volume is muted; and whenever I unmute it it returns to muted state.

Second problem:
Still can't manage my disks from windows diskmanager. The only way I've found to add more disks is to start XP installation, let the installer partiton, abort - and add the new disk to the config file. Then the disk appears in 'My Computer'. I still can't reformat it.

Any ideas anyone?

Solved

Well, actually it solved itself. The problem seemed to be the scaled-down XP I was using.
Installed a vanilla XP - and Voila. :)

If I now only could get KVM to accept my usb-devices...
Just hangs when I try to add a usb-device in qemu-monitor. :(

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!