[SOLVED] Some questions about the new "LVM-Thin" thing

ohmer

Mar 2, 2010
Hello,

I have some difficulties to understand how the "LVM-Thin" thing work. Seem like the old /var/lib/vz doesn't hold container data anymore. They are stored in a "thin lvm volume". Right?

/var/lib/vz is now just a directory created on pve-root volume and this is where we stock vzdump, iso and templates. I'm still right?

With this setup, is it still required to keep free space in my volume group to allow snapshot backup to work?

I installed Proxmox VE on a hard drive. I also have a SSD where I want to stock data for some container in order to get some performance gain. Should I create a new volume group and then configure a new "LVM-thin" stockage in the Proxmox VE web UI?

Thanks.

Hello,

I have some difficulties to understand how the "LVM-Thin" thing work. Seem like the old /var/lib/vz doesn't hold container data anymore. They are stored in a "thin lvm volume". Right?

/var/lib/vz is now just a directory created on pve-root volume and this is where we stock vzdump, iso and templates. I'm still right?

With this setup, is it still required to keep free space in my volume group to allow snapshot backup to work?

I installed Proxmox VE on a hard drive. I also have a SSD where I want to stock data for some container in order to get some performance gain. Should I create a new volume group and then configure a new "LVM-thin" stockage in the Proxmox VE web UI?

Thanks.

yes, yes, no (but you need to increase the pool metadata volume if you increase the pool size, otherwise many snapshots/clones will cause problems), and yes, create a new VG + thinpool and configure it as additional storage (there will be a wiki article how to do this soon).

yes, yes, no (but you need to increase the pool metadata volume if you increase the pool size, otherwise many snapshots/clones will cause problems), and yes, create a new VG + thinpool and configure it as additional storage (there will be a wiki article how to do this soon).

Thanks fabian.

What is your current setup with respect to disk and SSD? Maybe a SSD-Cache would also work very well for you.

This is my first Proxmox server with ssd drive. How work ssd-cache? Does it require ZFS (currently using ext4).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!