Some features ideas for the web interface

grobs

Apr 1, 2016
France
Hi,

I'm using Proxmox for a year now in a production environment, making things over a Proxmox 4 cluster of 6 physical machines and running more than 60 LXC containers day after day. And you know what? It works as well as it could be!

First, I want to thank you for all the good developments and features you already provides and also for this forum that really helps.

As a convinced user, I would like to share some things that came to my mind using Proxmox.
  1. During a "Migrate" command, the "Description" field could precise the source and the destination node names (eg. "CT 100 - Migrate from node1 to node2) and the "Status" could show a progress bar with a percentage during the migration
  2. In the left pannel, it would be greate to be able to colorize the containers (colorizing the name or adding a colored rounded sticker). A simple use case is to show the criticality of containers (red / green / purple / yellow...) or even to see which container is linked to which other container, colorizing them with same colours.
  3. The dashboard showed on the "Datacenter" node on the left panel is really helpful. Maybe that it could be customizable, allowing us to resize/replace/add/remove the indicators. For example, it could be helpful to add a "TOP 5" CPU/RAM/Swap/Disk eaters (containers or VM), allowing us to quickly diagnose the eventual issues.
  4. The "Storage" tab on the "Datacenter" panel only shows properties of shared disks (am I right?) but could display the used/free percentage of each disk of every node.
  5. When resizing a disk, the popup could display the final size after disk resize and ask a confirmation.
Maybe that some of those things could help to improve the already amazing Proxmox manager?

Thanks for reading :)

1. makes sense and should not be too complicated. Problem is every extra text requires extra translations.
2. not sure, as we use color icons to indicate status. Maybe you could group your containers here in pools ?
3. a good idea, but much more work here required.
4. not sure, datacenter tabs shows aggregated values and not pro hosts values
5. not sure, since the focus after a disk resize is still on the disk object on the grid, you get that information immediatly, plus adding a confirmation step here seems unnecessary (disk resize is not a dangerous operation, and adding a confirm step slown downs the workflow)

Thanks for the feedback !

Hi Manu, thanks for your reply !
  1. OK, maybe just add a (node1 --> node2) to avoid extra translations?
  2. Oh, maybe I missed something here. Where are the coloreds icons? On my GUI, every CT has a green icon (LXC) or a grey icon when the CT is down.
  3. Yes you're right, but it could be super great haha :)
  4. OK
  5. My fault, I wasn't ery clear on this one. I mean diplay the final size before clicking on "resize disk". I wrote this because some days ago I had a 40GB CT that I wanted to be 10GB larger. So I wrote 50 (instead of 10) and Proxmox resized my disk as a 90GB disk (40+50). Maybe there is a simple procedure to shrink it without doing the steps of livecd => e2fsck => resize2fs => reduce CT's disk (how?)

1. yes good idea
can you open a feature request on bugzilla.proxmox.com ?
This makes it easy to track the status, and you will get notified as
soon as the feature is there.
5. I understand your use case better now, will have some thought about that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!