[Solved] Why do i need 3 Nodes for an HA Cluster?

If your NAS has redundancy and the network between the NAS and the PVE cluster has redundancy and all that has power redundancy it can be totally fine to use that as HA setup in practice.

It's just that using that there are more components involved to provide the basic system, like the network between each cluster node and the storage. Avoiding that avoids failure potential, i.e., a switch that is not there cannot fail. If you want, or need, to use the extra component and thus the switch, or network cable, then you should at least ensure that the whole thing can still work if one switch or cable breaks.

This is mostly relevant for a green field project, as with some good design you can use that to reduce components, thus cost, while maybe even increasing the redundancy and reliability of your system. If you already got the NAS, it might well be the poorer (financial) decision to switch away from it.

To be able to give you more specific answer what would be best more confidently, one would need to know much more details. But, I think that's not a good fit for this thread, and it's also a lot of work to gather that info, interpret it and write the answer, so also not the best fit for this community forum (not saying you shouldn't try it, just don't be surprised if nobody replies on it).

In general, I'd recommend you to set up a test system and try out everything you want to hedge against and what seems realistic to happen in your environment.

Oh, and just a reminder: HA is to improve uptime (i.e., availability) on partial failure, but not a backup & recovery strategy, which one always should have, at least if one cares about the data (or your payroll depends on that).

but if i used enterprise ready nas as external storage with redundancy then what is the technical issue i really do not understand
It's still a single point of failure, e.g. In case of issues with the NAS Hardware. If you can live with the risk, this might not be a problem but should be taken in consideration.

In the end you will have to evaluate the height of the cost of more hardware compared to the cost of a NAS failure and time for recovery.

As I said: There are businesses who do this, so they propably assumed the risk to be low enough that it's ok for them. Your needs might be the same or not, only you can decide this

Last edited:
it is not like typical backup i was bothered that vm storage and should be in different hardware apart from servers node that's why

but if i used enterprise ready nas as external storage with redundancy then what is the technical issue i really do not understand

Technically, there's no issue. Your setup would be as reliable as its least reliable non-redundant component. But you must know this, so it may be just fine for you, after all.

Reactions: Johannes S

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!