[Solved] Why do i need 3 Nodes for an HA Cluster?

fireon

Distinguished Member
Oct 25, 2010
Austria/Graz
iteas.at
In the wiki i found the information, for an HA cluster you need at least 3 nodes. Can anyone tell me why i can't use this with 2?

Regards
fireon

Last edited:
Re: Why do i need 3 Nodes for an HA Cluster?

A cluster needs to know which nodes are accessible/available (turned on and networking is fine) and which ones arent (power failure, network failure... something). If you have 3 nodes and one node fails, both remaining nodes can still communicate with each other and "reach the conclusion" that node #3 is unavailable because both #1 and #2 cant talk to it. If the cluster was only 2 nodes and both nodes cant see each other... both nodes will consider the other node offline and take meassures accordingly. Now if both are actually still in working condition and "only" the network between them broke down, they will both try to start all VMs that need to be kept running which is very likely to result in complete corruption of the VMs disk images on the storage (assuming the storage is still reachable).

This is not a very technical explanation, but you get the gist.

Re: Why do i need 3 Nodes for an HA Cluster?

Thank you very much, now I understand it. It was absolutly not clear for me before. This explains the configuration of an DRBD.

Regards
fireon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!