SOLVED: Using clvmd in KVMs disrupts ProxMox frontend Storage view

WaltervdSchee

Mar 2, 2011
Rotterdam Area, the Netherlands
First off, lets talk about what I'm doing.
Running 2 DELL M610 blades as a ProxMox VE 2.1 cluster with iSCSI shared storage + a quorum disk for HA.

I've created two KVM's with CentOS, and a DRBD replicated storage with GFS2 + RedHat/CentOS cluster inside those KVM's.
This is to replicate in KVM what we are going to deploy on bare-metal later on.

However, since I've created the clvmd-based Clustered GFS2 logical volume, this 'interfers' with viewing the 'contents' tabs in the storage views on the ProxMox frontends. It gives this grayed out display with a message like 'exec /sbin/lvs --noheaders ............' exit status 500'

It doesn't interfere with the working of the ProxMox cluster or the VM's though.
Running the complete command at the command prompt, gives a message about 'skipping Clustered LVM storage'. I'm guessing this is what interferes with the parsing code of the contents view.

Is there a way that I can still use clvmd/RHCS, but, also have full view capabilities in the ProxMox VE Frontend ?

BTW: The platform absolutely rocks and is stable as anything I've seen thusfar !

Last edited:
Re: Using clvmd in KVMs disrupts ProxMox frontend Storage view

First off, lets talk about what I'm doing.
Running 2 DELL M610 blades as a ProxMox VE 2.1 cluster with iSCSI shared storage + a quorum disk for HA.

I've created two KVM's with CentOS, and a DRBD replicated storage with GFS2 + RedHat/CentOS cluster inside those KVM's.
This is to replicate in KVM what we are going to deploy on bare-metal later on.

However, since I've created the clvmd-based Clustered GFS2 logical volume, this 'interfers' with viewing the 'contents' tabs in the storage views on the ProxMox frontends. It gives this grayed out display with a message like 'exec /sbin/lvs --noheaders ............' exit status 500'

It doesn't interfere with the working of the ProxMox cluster or the VM's though.
Running the complete command at the command prompt, gives a message about 'skipping Clustered LVM storage'. I'm guessing this is what interferes with the parsing code of the contents view.

Is there a way that I can still use clvmd/RHCS, but, also have full view capabilities in the ProxMox VE Frontend ?

BTW: The platform absolutely rocks and is stable as anything I've seen thusfar !
Hi Walter,
I guess do you use the VM-HDD inside the VM without partitioning?! So that the host see the lvm-information inside the lv?
If you create an partition inside the VM and use e.g. sdb1 instaed of sdb the host should not see the content.

Udo

Udo,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed I'm using a cLVM on the raw (with DRBD replication) (v)hdd.

So, basically, if I create a partition, /dev/vhb1 and use that as my DRBD0 device inside my VM's, create the cLVM ontop of the DRBD0 device,
the host should then not see the VG/LV ?

Udo,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed I'm using a cLVM on the raw (with DRBD replication) (v)hdd.

So, basically, if I create a partition, /dev/vhb1 and use that as my DRBD0 device inside my VM's, create the cLVM ontop of the DRBD0 device,
the host should then not see the VG/LV ?
right!

Udo,

I now created a partition in my KVM (v)hdd, as /dev/vdb1 , but, unfortunately, it didn't help.
Then I thought, wait a second, I didn't remove the vdisks so the LVM meta data is still on there....

I removed and recreated the disks, and now it works !
A Clustered GFS2 filesystem over 2 KVMs with DRBD sync, and a working 'contents' tab on the Proxmox VE frontend.

Thanks Udo !
(and of course, now that I think of why it happened in the first place, its actually very logical.... )

Udo,

I now created a partition in my KVM (v)hdd, as /dev/vdb1 , but, unfortunately, it didn't help.
Then I thought, wait a second, I didn't remove the vdisks so the LVM meta data is still on there....
Hi Walter,
with "pvremove" it's possible to blank the lvm-data from a existing disks - so you don't have to recreate the disks... (for the next one :p ).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!