[SOLVED]Should I use NFS shares on host server or via VM like OMV or others

jim.bond.9862

Renowned Member
Apr 17, 2015
Hello everyone.
as the subj. says I have a dilemma of enormous proportions here :p.

I had build out a proxmox server for my home recently. (a heads up here, this is NOT a hosted server. this is self-built hardware box based on SuperMicro 24 HDD case tricked-out to use SOHO AMD FX MB with AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core Processor, 16GB RAM) that is running in my home basement. so most (if not all) access will be with in my home network, wired and wireless.

here is what I need/want to have:
#1. I have 2x1TB drives in BTRFS RAID-1 setup that I want to use for HOST(PROXMOX) storage needs.
all system is built on 400GB HDD that I might replace with an SSD some time in the future.not sure if I need the SSD for this server as in my case it would only speed up boot time, and since I plan for the system to be up most of the time speeding up reboots are not an issue.
I do however want to share the system storage volume on network so I can load ISO and other images directly to it from anywhere, not just use upload on proxmox web GUI.

#2. I have a single 2TB drive with data volumes from which I want to expose to all networked system on the LAN. This would hold all my File server data. currently I created a BTRFS volume on that drive and added several sub-volumes to it (BTRFS things) like @FileDump, @UserData, @Media etc.
the sub-volumes names and number may change but the idea is to have a certain layout and expose it to the network as each individual share.

I will be adding more drives (have some extra 2TB and 3TB coming out of my old file server as soon as I can move the data on them to the new setup.) and extending the data volume on it in BTRFS RAID-1 configuration (as we all know BTRFS have capability to expand and change configuration across multiple raw devices so if I wish I can re configure the RAID type later to RAID-10 if needed.)

I need to have different type access to some of the shares I expose.
a Read Only for ALL non-admin and guest users, for most of the Media and ISO/image data stores.
a Write(Read) for specific mediaAdmin user for above shares.
A full access to FileDump share. this will be the share where anyone could put file into and read file from.
for the most part it should be mostly empty once all data is moved to proper data store.
and a Full access per user and admins for the UserData share(s) no access to anyone elese.

so the question is really, should I just try to setup NFS exports for all this and figure out the management schema on the main HOST. OR create a VM based on OMV or Owncloud of other file server setup, and pass through the drives into it.

I would still need to NFS export the system data store volume (the 1TB drives used for system) but that is easy to manage as I would need only to add a specific user with write access to the system for that.

please advice...

PS> I had read all/most post on this board with reference to NFS and file server I could find.
but their are ether do not have the answer I seek or posters need is different from mine and the solution will not work for me.

Last edited:
Re: Should I use NFS shares on host server or via VM like OMV or other file server ty

surprisingly no replies to this. is the question too difficult? or to stupid?
BUMP

Re: Should I use NFS shares on host server or via VM like OMV or other file server ty

Hi Jim,

this depends mainly on your personal taste and your skills. It seems that you want to provide file server functionality to your local net. If you set up a VM like OMV, FreeNAS, etc. than it will be easy to configure and to control file permissions especially if there are more users.
You can also set this up on the host directly but it will be harder to configure because the lack of a sophisticated WebGUI like the one of a dedicated NAS distribution.

Best regards
Der Nasenmann

Looking at your needs/wishes the only way to go is to separate proxmox and storage on 2 different servers.

I figured I had nothing to loose as I had to rebuild the setup last night, so I decided to try the OMV in VM with drives passthrough.
I think I like it.

I found a bunch of how-to posts on google on hoe to enable BTRFS support for OMV.
build out the VM on a virtual disk. (BTW: this is how they recommend the setup of OMV. connect only system disk and install and after setup add data drives)
passed 3 drives to the setup and use btrfs utils to create a 3 drive volume in raid 1 (will convert to raid 10 when I get another 2TB drive added) so far I can not speak about write read speeds o nthis setup, but the basics works. I can see the VM, I can access it on the network, I can pss the drives into it, and use them with in the VM. I have to manage the partitions/sub-volumes in CLI as there are no btrfs admin GUI tools but I knew that.

for home setup where there is no need for very fast access it should work great.

I figured I had nothing to loose as I had to rebuild the setup last night, so I decided to try the OMV in VM with drives passthrough.
I think I like it.

I found a bunch of how-to posts on google on hoe to enable BTRFS support for OMV.
build out the VM on a virtual disk. (BTW: this is how they recommend the setup of OMV. connect only system disk and install and after setup add data drives)
passed 3 drives to the setup and use btrfs utils to create a 3 drive volume in raid 1 (will convert to raid 10 when I get another 2TB drive added) so far I can not speak about write read speeds o nthis setup, but the basics works. I can see the VM, I can access it on the network, I can pss the drives into it, and use them with in the VM. I have to manage the partitions/sub-volumes in CLI as there are no btrfs admin GUI tools but I knew that.

for home setup where there is no need for very fast access it should work great.

Hi!

I'm basically facing the same scenario request.

Could you please share some more information
a) which OMV release you are using
b) how to enable BTRFS on OMV
c) how to configure drive passthrough in PVE

THX

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!