[solved] proxmox backup server als third node in cluster possible?

Elleni

Jul 6, 2020
I have setup a two node cluster, and now I'd like to add my proxmox-backup-server as third node only for quorum but without putting vms on it. Thus I installed ProxMox VE first and then added ProxMox Backup Server.

While the two nodes have a separate network card where I configured the cluster network (on 172.16.x.y), the backup server with only one network card is not attached to the cluster network but to the other network (on 192.168.x.y). Can I still join the cluster that way or does all nodes have to be on the same network?

And if the backup server has to be on the same 172.16.x.y cluster network for acting as third node for quorum - would it be possible to make it accessible from the 192.168.x.y network without a second nic?

Last edited:
Thanks for your post. Well it was no problem installing both on barebone - just apt-get install proxmox-backup-server on pve console. What I'd like to understand, is if pve / pbs box can be joined to the cluster while not being on the cluster network (172.16.x.y in my case) thus communicating to the cluster nodes through the 192.168.x.y network.

not according to best practices (which require a separate, physical link for the cluster/corosync network). you can try using a qdevice instead of a full PVE setup on the PBS system.

Reactions: Elleni
Thanks for confirmation and for suggested workaround; I will try to do so. If that works, will it easily be possible to uninstall proxmox-ve on the pbs server? I had installed the server with proxmoxve iso and then added proxmox-backup-server by apt. Will it work with apt-get remove proxmoxve and autoremove/purge option and removing the proxmoxve repo to get rid of cruft not needed on the backup server or would you suggest a reinstall?

it should work (proxmox-ve prevents being removed unless you do some extra confirmation steps and remove a few config files though).

ok, I did the additional touch file confirmation for remove. Can you tell me which are the config files to remove please?

Last edited:
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/10pveapthook

the rest should not cause any issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!