[SOLVED] Impossible installation : No operating system found

randomusere

Apr 6, 2021
Hi everybody,

I'm not able to install Proxmox from a bootable USB key. I changed my BIOS options but the same error appear once I finished the installation : I boot from my SSD but I have a 1962 error : No operation system found. I used Balena etcher to make my key and Rufus (DD mode, no for the grub thing) but both of them did not work.
What's the problem ? should I install Debian 10 first ? I tried this way but the proxmox installation gives error.
What should I do ?

My PC is a Lenovo Thinkcentre M92 TINY with 8Go RAM, a PNY CS900 120Go SSD, Intel core i3-2120T CPU @ 2.60GHz (hope this can help).

It's for my domotic installation only.

In rescue boot :

L1TF CPU bug present and SMT on, data leak possible. See CVE-2018-3646 and https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/hw-vuln/l1tf.html for details.
random: crng init done
random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting

And I can access proxmox from my browser... But my PC is not able to boot proxmox.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
And I can access proxmox from my browser... But my PC is not able to boot proxmox.
If the web GUI is available, your PC must be booting Proxmox. Have you tried to ssh into the server?
What does the monitor display when you boot your PC?

If the web GUI is available, your PC must be booting Proxmox. Have you tried to ssh into the server?
What does the monitor display when you boot your PC?
@dylanw Thank you. This works only when I use rescue boot option from the key : ssh and browser are working well in this case.
But if I take it off, it doesn't work anymore. The PC doesn't boot on the SSD.
I tried apt-get update and apt-get install rng-tools but doesn't work at all.
The monitor says "1962 error : No operation system found[...]"
I disabled SMT in BIOS but i think the problem is about crng (maybe).

Last edited:
L1TF CPU bug present and SMT on, data leak possible. See CVE-2018-3646
This isn't actually an error message, just a notice that a bug for the hardware exists. Given that your CPU only has two physical cores, I'd keep SMT enabled and would also not mess with crng in any case (as it's likely unnecessary).

But if I take it off, it doesn't work anymore. The PC doesn't boot on the SSD.
In the bios, i would check for items such as device boot order and boot priority.

Are you using the default disk configuration on setup?

In the bios, i would check for items such as device boot order and boot priority.
Everything is OK in the BIOS : I choosed boot from SSD first once installation is sucessfull. (I installed Debian previously, just to check, and my PC was able to boot on it). No secure boot, UEFI first... Everything seems to be OK.

Are you using the default disk configuration on setup?
I tried the default configuration and mine (2/8/14/87 for a 11Go SSD)

Then, tried this : https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Recover_From_Grub_Failure but I couldn't mount sudo mount /dev/sda1 /media/RESCUE/boot

And this : https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/help-with-re-installing-grub-on-my-proxmox-3-4.21674/
So I can post a picture :

IMG_20210407_101014-min (1).jpg

Last edited:
Have you also tried to boot using legacy support mode rather than uefi? Are there any updates available for the BIOS of the machine?
If booting in legacy doesn't work, you could also attempt to reinstall grub from within the rescue system or from the debian installer?
Worst case scenario, you could install PVE on debian, since that boots for you [1].

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Buster

Have you also tried to boot using legacy support mode rather than uefi? Are there any updates available for the BIOS of the machine?
If booting in legacy doesn't work, you could also attempt to reinstall grub from within the rescue system or from the debian installer?
Worst case scenario, you could install PVE on debian, since that boots for you [1].

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Buster
Thank you for answering.
I'm working on it since monday but I finally found the issue yesterday evening : the BIOS was too old (2012) like you also say. It seems to be ok now :D. I installed a clean proxmox on my HDD ! Now I must install it on my SSD.

Hope this thread can help others with this issue.

Excellent, I'm glad you found the sollution! You can mark the thread as [SOLVED] in order to help others find it easier :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!