solutions for a storage file server

dav.ge

Feb 26, 2019
I have to retire an obsolete physical linux samba file server, with mapped shares on workstations, and migrate service on existing infrastructure of 2 proxmox nodes and microsoft active directory domain.

Currently the server provides shares to about 80 users that will be integrated into the active directory domain. In all, it is about 5 TB of data, for the most, common document archive.

I'm beginning to imagine a solution (which is necessarily a low cost) that allows to do what it currently does on the samba server but with greater solidity and speed of recovery in case of problems (especially hardware).

I would like a system that minimize times of disruption in case of problems.

Perhaps the simplest thing would be a vm with file server role and backup to be restored on another node in case of problems hw to the node on which it is hosted.

But I am sure there are other more refined and effective solutions. Quite simply because a virtual machine of that size seems to me to be problematic to manage and recover.

One could imagine a shared storage on nas or physical fileserver but the latter would become a single point of failure particularly critical ...

Do you have suggestions?

p.s.: Windows Licensing server is not a problem, as is the work time to set up the system. Instead, it is particularly problematic to buy hardware, especially at tight deadlines.

Hello,

VM: XPenology.
LXC: any linux with Webmin and samba module.

My usercase: XPenology and Alpine Linux LXC with Samba Active Directory.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!