[SOLVED] solaris 11.4 installation crashes during boot

SomeUser

Aug 1, 2020
Just downloaded Proxmox VE 6.2-1. Installed it. Tried to create a solaris 11.4 guest. Used all defaults. When the VM starts booting, the solaris kernel boots, and then crashes before it finishes loading.

Has anyone gotten solaris 11.4 working on 6.2-1, and if so, would you mind sharing your hardware config and options?

I want to migrate my solaris 11 ZFS (encrypted) over to proxmox + ZFS. I have new drives sitting in the machine, just waiting.... As soon as I can get solaris 11 running, importing my ZFS disks, I can start rsync or scp the files over to the host proxmox zfs drives.

Thanks.

OK, managed to solve this. Host is an AMD Phenom II, 1045T on an Asus A5M97 motherboard with 32GB Ram and a 1TB Samsung Evo 960 SSD.

Guest is Solaris 11.4.

Processor: Host
Bios: OVMF
Machine: i440fx
CD/DVD Drive (ide2): local:iso/sol-11_4-text-x86.iso,media=cdrom,size=724440K
Hard Disk (sata0): local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0,size=32G

Glad you found a working configuration!
Please mark the thread as 'SOLVED' - this helps other users with a similar issue.
Thanks!

Reactions: SomeUser
OK, managed to solve this. Host is an AMD Phenom II, 1045T on an Asus A5M97 motherboard with 32GB Ram and a 1TB Samsung Evo 960 SSD.

Guest is Solaris 11.4.

Processor: Host
Bios: OVMF
Machine: i440fx
CD/DVD Drive (ide2): local:iso/sol-11_4-text-x86.iso,media=cdrom,size=724440K
Hard Disk (sata0): local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0,size=32G

SomeUser,

Might I ask what SCSI controller and as well which network card type you used?

Stuart

SomeUser,

Might I ask what SCSI controller and as well which network card type you used?

Stuart

Installed with:

OVMF (UEFI), Default (i440fx),IDE Disk and CDrom, E1000 network,

install.png

then switched to:
OVMF (UEFI),q35, VirtIO SCSI single for controller, HDD - vtio0 (detach, atach as), network is E1000 network, while vtionet will not work ader solaris :(

running-config.png

OVMF (UEFI) and q35 used to make passthrough work with LSI SAS3008-8i

passthrough-SAS3008-8i.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!