Software web dev guy: Need to build on-prem test/stage/deploy chain

LRP

Jun 26, 2019
I’m building an ambitious Erlang web app. Need to think/act toward deployment. I’ve dug deep, get basic concepts, but need critique/mentoring of path forward.

Goal 1: Proxmox cluster to support testing, staging, and start-up production

Goal 2: Host production on-prem until start-up revenue supports move to cloud

Goal 3: Seamless, swiftest possible move to cloud when warranted

On-prem constraints: Low noise, low power, low-volume.

Resources: 2 NUCs, 4 MiniPCs, 1 Antsle server 4 Cores; at expense of marketing budget can add hardware resources within $1K to $2K range if necessary to achieve goal

Question 1: How best to harness existing resources under ProxMox to achieve

goal.

Question 2: How best to overcome one NIC per node constraint on existing hardware

Question 3: How best to provide secure storage to support VMs, Erlang Mnesia back-up and archiving (net 1 TB should be sufficient)

Question 4: How best to build out in stages toward goal

Many thanks to all,

LRP

I'd go with Docker and deploy to a PaaS not an IaaS, which PVE in fact is. You can setup e.g. GitLab with CI/CD pipelines as VMs, but I'd always deploy to Docker/Docker Swarm or Kubernetes. The later two can be VMs in your PVE, so you end up with 1 gitlab, 1 gitlab-runner and at least 1 VM for Docker and/or Orchestration. Every aspect can be clustered and be high available, but 3 is the minimum to start with.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!