Socket Access in Containers

mstarks01

Jul 1, 2020
I have attempted to start up a tmux session (i.e. tmux -L socket_name new-session -c /usr/local/bin/application -s session_name -d command) within an Ubuntu container and, while the process starts, I cannot connect to the socket with tmux. The socket is created as /tmp/tmux-1000/session_name= but tmux doesn't know it's there.

Is there anything about the container security model which prevents this? I suspect so. It works when I don't specify a socket. Which logs could I look to for further troubleshooting?

Edit: to clarify, this is an unprivileged container.

Last edited:
tmpfs in the container and tmpfs on the host are not shared

it works here. how are you entering the container? can you include the tmux command that you are using to attach?

that works as expected here (provided the variables contain the right socket/session names ;)). what error do you get?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!