SNMP Proxmox

P

proxbiba

Hey
can we monitor proxmox server with SNMP?
Need an answer plz, and what kind of information can we monitor?

I followed this forum thread: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/8423-Setup-SNMP-monitoring

I am using the spiceworks app to do snmp monitoring. I have installed snmpd, configured the /etc/default/snmpd file with my pvehost IP address 10.10.1.10:
HTML:
SNMPDOPTS='-Lsd -Lf /dev/null -u snmp -g snmp -I -smux -p /var/run/snmpd.pid 10.10.1.10'
I have added the following entry at the bottom of the /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file; which is my spiceworks app IP address:
HTML:
com2sec readonly  10.10.1.150           public

What am I overlooking? Why are there errors in the syslog? It looks like it is connecting to the wrong server, 10.10.1.1 is a internal DC.

HTML:
Dec 13 16:03:24 pvehost-ve1 snmpd[2272]: Connection from UDP: [10.10.1.1]:50486->[10.10.1.10]
Dec 13 16:03:31 pvehost-ve1 snmpd[2272]: error on subcontainer 'ia_addr' insert (-1)
Dec 13 16:04:01 pvehost-ve1 snmpd[2272]: error on subcontainer 'ia_addr' insert (-1)

Thank you for your help.

Reactions: nicolas.devouge
I followed this forum thread: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/8423-Setup-SNMP-monitoring

I am using the spiceworks app to do snmp monitoring. I have installed snmpd, configured the /etc/default/snmpd file with my pvehost IP address 10.10.1.10:
HTML:
SNMPDOPTS='-Lsd -Lf /dev/null -u snmp -g snmp -I -smux -p /var/run/snmpd.pid 10.10.1.10'
I have added the following entry at the bottom of the /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file; which is my spiceworks app IP address:
HTML:
com2sec readonly  10.10.1.150           public

What am I overlooking? Why are there errors in the syslog? It looks like it is connecting to the wrong server, 10.10.1.1 is a internal DC.

HTML:
Dec 13 16:03:24 pvehost-ve1 snmpd[2272]: Connection from UDP: [10.10.1.1]:50486->[10.10.1.10]
Dec 13 16:03:31 pvehost-ve1 snmpd[2272]: error on subcontainer 'ia_addr' insert (-1)
Dec 13 16:04:01 pvehost-ve1 snmpd[2272]: error on subcontainer 'ia_addr' insert (-1)

Thank you for your help.
I have the same 'problem'.

i already did this:
--------------
How many times do you want to see messages like this in your logs?
Sep 11 16:48:23 your-server snmpd[19552]: Connection from UDP: [192.168.59.101]:49867->[10.129.11.219]
Sep 11 16:48:23 snmpd[19552]: last message repeated 199 times

The logging options are specified on the "snmpd" command line, and are thus configured in "/etc/default/snmpd".

The default logging settings are:
-Lsd

"-L" is for the logging options. "s" is for syslog. "d" is for the daemon facility.

What we want are these settings:
-LS 4 d
----------------

but the same problem
"-L" again is for logging options. Capital "S" is for a priority-filtered syslog, with "4" being "warning-level or higher". Again, "d" is for the daemon facility.

tnx, but this is no error, :) the system is checking snmpd. But i dont want this into my syslog.
i allready tried everyhting with LS 4 etc. But no better result :(
Iam using a gen9 360 with HP management software and iLO 4. thats why he triggers snmpd.

I use the Zabbix agent as well, but the agent does not get me all the info I need.
You can extend the Net-SNMP agent to return any data from a script of your choice on the OID of your choice. So if SNMP is missing data that you want, you can add that data to the SNMP metrics returned. This is particularly useful in an organization where the person managing the SNMP server is different than the one managing the ProxMox server. Extending the Net-SNMP metrics transfer the work to the server monitored (in this case ProxMox), and then adding these datapoint on the SNMP server is as easy as providing the correct OIDs to the SNMP server administrator.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!