Snapshots

techgeek1001

Oct 13, 2023
When I create a snapshot of a VM:
a) is that a backup?
b) will it back up all my virtual disks? E.g., If I have a virtualized storage server will it back up the vdi that I set up for bulk storage along with the boot vdi?

Thanks.

When I create a snapshot of a VM:
a) is that a backup?
No, it's a snapshot. Snapshots are (usually) not copies and cannot be restored on another system in case of disaster. Only backups are backups. Also make sure to test-restore your backups to make sure they work, and make sure to make copies of your backups on different media and to also store some off-site.

No, it's a snapshot. Snapshots are (usually) not copies and cannot be restored on another system in case of disaster. Only backups are backups. Also make sure to test-restore your backups to make sure they work, and make sure to make copies of your backups on different media and to also store some off-site.
Thanks.

So to make sure I have this clear.

When I snapshot a VM. It is only usable within Proxmox; however, it does contain everything to take me back to a fully working state.

However no other system is able to interpret that data only proxmox. So I need to do actual backups as well?

When I snapshot a VM. It is only usable within Proxmox; however, it does contain everything to take me back to a fully working state.
As long as all the disks are healty and there is no human error, yes. Otherwise you are screwed without a proper backup which is why you should always have only backup or backup + snapshots but not only snapshots...

Yes, but replication is only an option when using ZFS...not sure if he is talking about qcow2 or LVM snapshots where this wouldn't be an option.
Also keep in mind that snapshots will grow over time. The older the snapshot is, the bigger it will get. So for long-term retentions it might be even more space efficient to use backups...especially when using PBS with its deduplication.

Last edited:
Proxmox does not create its own proprietary snapshots. It relies on the underlying storage infrastructure. One can access these snapshots directly if necessary. The methods of accessing the snapshots fully depend on the storage chosen.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!