Snapshots slow - backups

sahostking

Renowned Member
Currently we use FreeNAS with NFS to backup 10 VPS servers on each Node.

We have 2 test nodes with 1 backup server.

Both HW RAID 10 with 6 x 2TB enterprise SATA disks.

The time it takes to backup is very long over 1Gb network link dedicated to backups.

What is the best option. Ceph or GlusterFS. I'm looking at Block level backups which I assume these 2 do.

And do we have to have minimum of 2 backup servers to use these 2 or can we use 1 to start off with.

I backup like this as well. Gluster-backed KVM's using qcow2 images to a FreeNAS over a dedicated gig network. I don't find it terribly slow. I use the built-in backup. This works great for small virtual disks...

When the disks are large, then I tend to see problems. Last night during the backup of a 100G volume (of which 66G is used) just locked up. The VM stopped being able to do any IO. Every process was blocked in short-term disk wait. The disk file itself hadn't been updated since about 2:30 am when I came in to find it all stuck this morning around 8am.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!