Snapshots on local drive

Asgard

Feb 17, 2012
Okay I have a kind of stupid question.
Is it possible to take a snapshot of a VM using the local storage?

you talk about snapshot backup with vzdump? yes.

Okay I am going to explain a little bit more. I am one node with one RAID so, one local drive. I have three VMs running, one is a .raw, one is a .qcow2, and one .vmdk. I am using this server(node) for testing reasons that is why I want to backup on the local. I have been researching and testing for a few days now. Every time I try to run a snapshot back up this is what it says.

INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 110 --mode snapshot --compress 0 --storage local --node incrvm02
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 110 (qemu)
INFO: status = running
INFO: mode failure - unable to dump into snapshot (use option --dumpdir)
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend

On all of the VMs it fails to snapshot.
I know that this thread says that .qcow2 can't snapshot unless you use the cmds
http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/7981-Error-in-qcow2-snapshot-for-Backups

But, I am just wondoring about the other ones like .raw and .vmdk I know that in other Virtual Environments you can take snapshots using the same hard drive.

Just select another backup location. You simply cant store the result of a snapshot inside the snapshot - that is a endless loop.

Note: You try to store a snapshot of /var/lib/vz/ into /var/lib/vz/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!