SMART error on backup start

Moreiq

Mar 6, 2018
Hi!

Every time I start backup of my VM which is above 100GB I get a SMART error notification, which finally does not affect actual backup procedure, neither further operation of PROXMOX or VMs. However when I do small backup below 20GB I get no issues at all.

This message was generated by the smartd daemon running on:

host name: pve
DNS domain: example.com

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/sdb [SAT], 262144 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Device info:
Intenso SSD Sata III, S/N:AA000000000000002458, FW:N1126K, 253 GB

For details see host's SYSLOG.

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.
Another message will be sent in 24 hours if the problem persists.

Hi,

i guess you ssd is end of live. I would change it.

Thanks,

I have bought it 1 month ago. Daily SMART checks indicate no issues whatsoever. Why I shall think its in the end of life ? Even if we consider this is the case, why do I get errors exceptionally during backup of this particular VM?

Just to mention that both drives have identical SMART data.

Regards

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 15.07.52.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 15.07.52.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
There also new disk what can fail, because of an production error.
Even if we consider this is the case, why do I get errors exceptionally during backup of this particular VM?
I don't know on with sectors the controller tries to write, but I know for sure if you get this kind of error this has something to do with the HW and mostly the disk is about to fail.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!