Slow vpn connexion to VM VPN server

hadrich

Renowned Member
Dec 9, 2011
Hello all, i have a strange problem.
i have installed proxmox 3.1 (new installation with full updates) in DELL PowerEdge T320 with 12 Go RAM, 2x300Go SAS 10000trm (raid1) , i have create 2 VM :
- 1 zentyal 3.2 (ubuntu 12.04) : 2Go RAM , 2 virtio net card : VPN server (openvpn) + transparent proxy server
vmbr0 ==> local network
vmbr1 ==> modem routeur ADSL
- 1 win2012 standard edition : 8Go RAM, 1 virtio net card (vmbr0) (pilote virtio version : 62.65.104.6500 date :19-06-2013).
In local network all works fine with no problem, but when i connect with vpn (even vpn client connected direcly to vmbr1) the connection becomes increasingly heavy locked up. Then i can't connect to win2012 with remote desktop or https admin page of zentyal. But what is strange is that the ping remains functional.
I have reinstalled zentyal but same problem, i have reinstalled with another version (zentyal 3) but same problem too.
I have reinstalled proxmox but same problem too.
I have installed all sollution in another hardware to testing but same problem.
Please help me ?

Try switching to e1000 instead of virtio for network.
I had a similar issue the other day, ICMP worked fine, TCP was all sorts of packet loss.
Changed some of the machines from virtio to e1000, problem resolved.

Why it worked I have no idea, never had isseus with virtio before.

I have changed virtio with e1000 in my test server and it works fine, i think problem resolved, tomorrow i will test with the production server and i will reply.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!