Slow Internet Performance

I would definitely look for some other causes in this case, reading your iperf stats and your tests with newly created containers I would guess that it is very unlikely that it is caused by a config issue. In fact we are talking about 10 Mbps to 3 Mbps vs iperf more than 900 Mbps.
I would suggest that you check your network, maybe there is some kind of QoS. Try to put your container in a different VLAN and check if you see the same results.

I really meant the problematic node, post the VM config, /etc/pve/node/...
Here is an example configuration.
arch: amd64
cores: 1
hostname: nginx
memory: 512
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,hwaddr=<MAC>,ip=dhcp,ip6=auto,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: ubuntu
protection: 1
rootfs: local-lvm:vm-102-disk-1,size=20G
swap: 512
unprivileged: 1

This particular container is resource limited, but even containers with 3 cores and 8 GB of RAM see the same result.

I would definitely look for some other causes in this case, reading your iperf stats and your tests with newly created containers I would guess that it is very unlikely that it is caused by a config issue. In fact we are talking about 10 Mbps to 3 Mbps vs iperf more than 900 Mbps.
I would suggest that you check your network, maybe there is some kind of QoS. Try to put your container in a different VLAN and check if you see the same results.

My containers are on a variety of VLANS, including the same as the host. The result is always the same. I also do not have any traffic shaping, QoS, or anything else on the network that would limit it. The only place its a problem is in Proxmox containers or KVMs. My one machine is about as basic of an install as you can get with everything installed on a single SSD. The other uses ZFS and is slightly more complicated.

Can you reproduce behavior ?
Not in new installs.

Every single existing KVM and container on two machines have the same problem. New ones do not. I went through and tried verifying every single network setting in Ubuntu and Debian containers and there is nothing suspect in any of them. Even creating new containers and comparing showed nothing. I also created new containers with the same OS, same Proxmox settings, and even the same MAC address just to make sure it picked up the same IP from my router (static addresses set on the router). That wasn't an issue.

I ended up just starting to slowly migrate to new KVMs and containers. Using all Debian going forward. Luckily my setups are fairly easy to migrate. Two KVMs (different machines) are Docker installs. Others are containers with one purpose so its fairly quick. Still a big pain overall, but its the only way I can get around this issue.

Both machines were installed 6 months apart, one machine is an original install and one was a reinstall of Proxmox with restored hosts. Both are fully up to date. Makes no sense. The 3.15 - 3.20 Mbps upload speed cap seems too tight to be a coincidence.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!