Slow files transfer

kirdk

Jun 12, 2020
I'm pretty new in Proxmox and I'm trying to configure my home lab. The problem is a very bad file transfer speed between physical hosts and Proxmox. (Intel i7-5820K, Asus X99-e, 64GB DDR4, Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 NIC)
When I'm trying to transfer files to Proxmox or to VMs or between VMs I can get only about 7MB/s. The same problem for SFTP and SMB.
perf indicates network speed about 950 Mbits/sec. The disk subsystem and CPU are not a bottleneck:
atop.png
In addition, previously it worked fine and file transfer was about 112MB/s what is close to the physical limit, but after some actions, it dropped.
Any advice on how to find a source of the problem will be much appreciated!

HI,

What kind of storage do you use: lvm/zfs and what kind of HDDs?
I'm using 3 storages:
1. mdadm raid 1 for the system (2 SSD OCZ-SABER1000)
2. ZFS RAID 10 for the VM images (4 SSD CT500MX500)
3. ZFS RAIDZ 1 for the backups and file storage (3 HDD ST4000VN008)
In fact, the transfer speed the same for all storage. And today it's just 1.5 MB/s instead 7 yesterday.
It seems that the limit comes from some software...

fdisk -l output:

Attachments

• fdisk_out.txt
    13.3 KB · Views: 3
So, the problem is found. Actually it's my stupid mistake. The connection of my WinSCP was configured to use the public IP of my router. And, of course, the traffic went through the router and it was using firewall and NAT rules. The bottleneck was CPU of my router.

Reactions: mrg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!