Size of / on default partitioning?

monster

Oct 23, 2010
Using the bare-metal installer, I get a 100GB root partition. For a "small" server with two 750GB drives (in RAID1) (Hetzner EQ 4) this is more the 13% of the space. Since the OS itself takes under 1GB, and backups should be stored elsewhere, what do you need the rest 99GB for? tmp space? VE templates and ISO images?

Since I can't use the bare-metal installer on my production server (because it is not supported by the Provider), and I therefore have to do the patitioning manually, I was wondering if I could make the root smaller. If I knew what you need the space for, it would be easier for me to calculate the minimum size...

using the boot option - maxroot - you can define the size of the root partition (just search the forum).

if do a custom partitioning, you can choose whatever you want. but as hdd´s are cheap, I always go bigger than needed in the moment as it could be a pain if you need more later.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!