Single LXC backup fail error 23

dridhas

Aug 11, 2022
Hello all,

good day.

I recently noticed that for the past 2-3 days a single LXC is not being backed up and the error it provides is 23 when using snapshot or suspend mode.

ive got another similar lxc (different apps on it) and this one backs up successfully when using snapshot mode.

When using stop mode, the affected lxc works normally.

This is the configuration for the LXC:
arch: amd64
cores: 1
features: nesting=1
hostname: Containers-lxc
memory: 2048
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,hwaddr=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX,ip=dhcp,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: ubuntu
rootfs: Storage:304/vm-304-disk-0.raw,size=5G
swap: 512
unprivileged: 1

And the below is what i get when trying to run the backup:

INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 304 --notes-template '{{guestname}}' --mode snapshot --storage Backups --compress zstd --remove 0 --node RM-Lab
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 304 (lxc)
INFO: Backup started at 2022-09-12 17:13:27
INFO: status = running
INFO: CT Name: Containers-lxc
INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup
INFO: mode failure - some volumes do not support snapshots
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: CT Name: Containers-lxc
INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup
INFO: starting first sync /proc/32843/root/ to /media/backups/dump/vzdump-lxc-304-2022_09_12-17_13_27.tmp
ERROR: Backup of VM 304 failed - command 'rsync --stats -h -X -A --numeric-ids -aH --delete --no-whole-file --sparse --one-file-system --relative '--exclude=/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/run/?*.pid' /proc/32843/root//./ /media/backups/dump/vzdump-lxc-304-2022_09_12-17_13_27.tmp' failed: exit code 23
INFO: Failed at 2022-09-12 17:14:06
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

/media/backups is an external usb drive where all VMs and LXC (except this one) back up successfully.

Ive been reading around but not much information i could gather on the possible fix.

could any of you please advise?

Any insights/help is greatly appreciated!

a quick update on this.

I spun up the PBS and when trying to run a backup in snapshot mode i still get the error 23.

When using stop mode, it backs up normally

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!