single fast QC vs slower QC

Robstarusa

Renowned Member
Feb 19, 2009
Do you guys have a recommendation?

I'm looking at some cheap, older B3 (TLB fixed) opterons @ 1.8ghz with 16G ram.

Would I be better with 16G ram + 8 cores @ 1.8ghz (opteron) or 16G ram on a p45 board with say a 3.0ghz quad core based on core2 architecture?

Is there a general rule of thumb?

Do you guys have a recommendation?

I'm looking at some cheap, older B3 (TLB fixed) opterons @ 1.8ghz with 16G ram.

Would I be better with 16G ram + 8 cores @ 1.8ghz (opteron) or 16G ram on a p45 board with say a 3.0ghz quad core based on core2 architecture?

Is there a general rule of thumb?

I have no direct comparison to send but it could depend on the applications and databases you want to run. But even more important is the local storage system - you should follow our recommendations.

If this involved CPUs that weren't so disparate in performance (older generation 1.8GHz opteron vs. newer 3GHz core2) it would be a tougher question. But, I expect four core2 cores @ 3GHz is actually about on par with eight older generation opteron cores @ 1.8GHz except with less electricity and heat dissipation needed to run the newer CPU.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!