SFTP to USB passthrough for VM (Ubuntu / Plex)

fakker

Apr 2, 2022
Hi all,

I am VERY new to Proxmox. I set it all up only yesterday. I have two VMs working - one is Home Assistant (OS) and the other is Ubuntu 20.04 server. The Ubuntu server is running plex and unifi controller. These work nicely. I have managed to mount an external USB drive which has my media for Plex. (This is plugged directly in to the proxmox machine).

This all works perfecty. However I now have a problem where by I want to upload new videos to the USB plugged in to proxmox. I have set up a mount in fstab so when I use WinSCP, I can see "mnt/media/movies" for example. However when I try to upload a new video, it says permission denied.

I have added my "plex" user (the one I set up when I installed Ubuntu) and given elevated permission. Nothing seems to work.

Am I missing something obvious here? I can SFTP in to the proxmox IP as root and I was hoping to see the USB drive there. Maybe that's the way to go? Mount that in the "root" of proxmox and expose it to the ubuntu VM? (if that's a thing?)

So to summarise... I want to be able to upload videos to the USB plugged in to my proxmox machine which is then used in the ubuntu server.

Thanks for any help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!