Setup RAID when a new disk is installed ?

rXp

Feb 2, 2019
Hello,

I am trying Proxmox for the first time. For now I use it personally on a new microserver I got recently. If I end up liking Proxmox I will get a basic subscription but for now I am using the free repository.
I have 2 questions both related to my drives setup :
1) I have 1 SSD for the OS and 1 HDD in the raid controller. More identical HDDs will come (up to 4x4TB for a RAID 10) but right now I only have one. Is it possible to set it up and later add another to make a RAID 0 then the last two for a RAID 10 without loosing data ? I can setup in the BIOS the data for my drives but I don't if it will make me erase it all. Since I saw the RAID options in the LVM Setup I was wondering if it is a software raid or if it takes over my controller.
2) Is there a way (and is it useful) to use part of my SSD as cache for what ever Proxmox need ?

For now my microserver is a HPE Proliant microserver GEN10 x3421 with 32gb DDR4 2440, a 256ssd for the OS and a 4TB WD Gold in the bay directly connected on the raid controller.

Thanks a lot for the help,

rXp

Last edited:
Hi,
depends on your raid-controller.
Perhaps your raidcontroller can create an raid-0 and later expand to raid-1 and raid 1+0... the local pve storage in this case is normaly lvm-thin.
The linux don't see raid-level, only the raid-volume fromn the raid-controller.

Or you use zfs for this! In this case, your raidcontroller must support path through (some vendor called non-raid). In thic case you can do the same with zfs (and the SSD can used for write- and/or read-cache).
In this case, the linux see all harddisk "as they are".
With zfs you can do nice things, but you also need more Ram.

Udo

Hi,
depends on your raid-controller.
Perhaps your raidcontroller can create an raid-0 and later expand to raid-1 and raid 1+0... the local pve storage in this case is normaly lvm-thin.
The linux don't see raid-level, only the raid-volume fromn the raid-controller.

Or you use zfs for this! In this case, your raidcontroller must support path through (some vendor called non-raid). In thic case you can do the same with zfs (and the SSD can used for write- and/or read-cache).
In this case, the linux see all harddisk "as they are".
With zfs you can do nice things, but you also need more Ram.

Udo

I have a Marvell 88SE9230 PCIe to SATA 6Gb/s controller (RAID controller).
How can I setup the SSD as cache in proxmox ?
As for the controller I don't know how it reacts if I try to add another to setup something since I only have one hdd for now.
For now all my "bay" partitions are LVM-Thin but since I am just testing it is not an issue to reset everything if needed

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!