Setting up Citrix Netscaler VPX Express on Proxmox 3.4 Cluster

Anduril

Mar 31, 2015
Dear all,

I have a working Proxmox 3.4, 2 Node Cluster. Everything works fine so far. Great work Developers!;)

Now I wanted to add a prebuild KVM Image "Citrix Netscaler VPX Express Appliance 10.5" and so the problem starts.

I uploaded the *.raw Image of the HDD to the local Storage of one Clusternode.
Then I investigated the KVM-Description-File (it's XML) for the Appliance to set the Configuration Parameters correct.
The Controller should be "IDE", the Networkcard "virtio". No Problem so far. I created a new KVM machine and added the HDD to it.
But when I start the Machine it hangs with .... default/loader.conf .... on the Bootloader.

As far as I know is, that Netscaler is based on freeBSD 6.
I googled around but found nothing helpful.

To test if the machine works, i installed a debian wheezy on another machine and imported the Appliance successfully.

Does anybody could help, to get Netscaler working on Proxmox?

Thanks in advance

Anduril

Hi,
what a kind of Hardware emulation you are using (OS)?
I recognized that some times BSD runs only as Linux (Linux 3.X/2.6 Kernel (l26))!
you can also try Solaris Kernel.

Emulation 'Other' works for most FreeBSD but for processor you should try lowest common denominator which is 'qemu32' or 'qemu64'.

Hi Guys,

any update on this? i remember, i did load the image to openstack same goes happened. but i just add vm_mode = hvm to the image property and the guest able to boot smoothly. does proxmox able to do this also? please advise.

thanks

Hi,

Anyone managed to get the kvm image running on proxmox?
Please let us know. Thanks

Hi,
Cannot get the supplied kvm image to work. However downloaded the esx appliance (10.5-59.11) extracted the vmdk and converted it using
qemu-img convert -O qcow2 NSVPX-ESX-10.5-59.11_nc-disk1.vmdk chooseaname.qcow2
And created a new vm with:
2 cpu, 2 GB RAM and a virtio nic and virtio disk, os type solaris and cpu kvm64.
And now it boots and runs.

I know i'm responding to an old post, but i'm hoping this helps someone else out.
the serial console response here: pve-devel.pve.proxmox.narkive.com/lxvXGB1P/citrix-netscaler
worked for me
add "serial0: socket" to the VMID.conf

I was successfully able to get this working using the KVM image.

Reactions: qgrasso

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!