Setting the screen resolution in Linux to something higher than 1024x768?

T

TwentyFourBit

Hey guys, About a week ago I saw a random video about Proxmox virtual enviornment on the internet. I have a bunch of rack servers at the house. Previously I had been using different virtualization software (such as VMWare and Oracle's VirtualBox) to run my virtual machines, mainly small time server machines (mail server, various file servers, etc).

I did indeed search around quite a bit before I posted here. But I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious. :(

The only problem I am having is that I can not get my Linux distros to have a screen resolution higher than 1024x768. Windows 2003/2008 I have no problem changing the setting to my liking. The current machine that's running my Proxmox VE is: 2U machine 2x6core Xeons 64GB RAM A RAID setup with 6 total SATA hard drives. The motherboard of this machine has onboard VGA. I was wondering if that was the issue and I needed some dedicated video card. So I went into the BIOS and bumped up the onboard VGA's memory up to 128MB. It didn't help or improve the screen resolution problem. So I went into the Proxmox web setup and changed the hardware for the display around a bit and that ended up making me not be able to boot up. So I had to switch back to "Default" option.

Is this a driver issue, or a Proxmox issue?

Any ideas? As I said, Linux has the problems. Windows boxes do not, whatsoever.
-Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
change the emulated display card (see 'hardware' tab) to 'vmware'.

but this could lead to problems for running linux guest, means it will force you to reconfigure x. depends on your linux guest os.

change the emulated display card (see 'hardware' tab) to 'vmware'.

but this could lead to problems for running linux guest, means it will force you to reconfigure x. depends on your linux guest os.
I couldn't even get the system to boot with this. Got an boot error instantly :(

Sorry for posting twice.

Is the boot error due to me already having it installed and trying to change the video default device? Should I try an install with VMWare for the device selected from the start?

that is what I wrote. depending on the guest OS there could be issues. but as long as you do not give details about the error message and the use guest OS no-one can give a hint.

also try to install the same again with the new settings and then compare (using live-cd)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!