Servers at different locations?

WSDJamie

Nov 23, 2022
Hello Everyone,
We currently have a HyperV server at each school. They host AD VMs, Print servers, etc. The physical boxes that are the servers are pretty old, so i'm planning on replacing them and using Proxmox as the hypervisor. The schools are connected via dark fiber so we have a 10 gig connection between them.

The servers don't really have any reason to be in a cluster as i'm not planning to migrate VMs between hosts or anything like that. Also there won't be any shared storage on them. I like the idea of ceph, but i'm not sure since it's only a 10 gig connection between the schools.

I do like the idea of connecting to any of the servers and being able to see what's going on with all the school hosts, and manage any of the other servers from the same web session.

My main concern about setting this up this way is sometimes fiber connections between schools go down. I feel like i've played with Proxmox in the past and turned off two of the three hosts and the single host that was left up, I wasn't able to log into. It like freaked out.

So I guess my question to the forum is, would there be any issue setting up these hosts in different locations up as a cluster just for management purposes? Specifically knowing that sometimes the connection can go down between the cluster nodes, but we need the hosts to keep functioning.

Thanks

Hi,
I really not recommand to create a cluster with remote sites if you really don't need migrate vms,... between sites.
You'll have more problem, latency bugs,....

Currently, they are no official proxmox interface to manage multi-clustes,

but

I have a friend working on a multi-cluster management tools
https://cluster-manager.fr/

It'll currently beta, activelly developped. (will be opensourced soon)

Reactions: WSDJamie
I have a friend working on a multi-cluster management tools
https://cluster-manager.fr/

It'll currently beta, activelly developped. (will be opensourced soon)
Interesting. A nice feature would be bulk editing of IP sets, aliases and security groups. I want the same on all unclustered nodes so I can move guests between them, without missing network/firewall configs, but it is really annoying to do that for each node each time you need to edit something.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!