server doesn't shut down

tlk_vm

Jul 21, 2008
Hello,

when I try to reboot ot shutdown the Proxmox VE it starts shutting down, prints:
"shutting down Qemu server"
and then just sits there forever.
Since this is just a test installation, I reinstalled, did nothing in the WebUI, just logged into the console, tried to reboot, same as above.
Hardware same as in last post:
Shuttle SG33G5, Intel Q6600, 4GB Ram

An CentOS 5.1 installation with VMWare and several taxing VMs running is no problem for this box, so I doubt it is a hardware problem.

As always: Ask for any files, info, whatever you need to narrow this down, I'm happy to send it.

Regards,
Marc

I witnessed the same behavior on my cluster.. While I don't think its a problem with PVE, its probably something specific to how PVE configures QEMU.

I hope someone can find a fix for that, because right now my only work around is a remote reboot strip... which is less than acceptable for a enterprise cluster :)

My machines are Dell 1950's dual dual core 1.6ghz, 16gb mem, 2x76SAS10k drives

Hello,

when I try to reboot ot shutdown the Proxmox VE it starts shutting down, prints:
Since this is just a test installation, I reinstalled, did nothing in the WebUI, just logged into the console, tried to reboot, same as above.
Hardware same as in last post:
Shuttle SG33G5, Intel Q6600, 4GB Ram

An CentOS 5.1 installation with VMWare and several taxing VMs running is no problem for this box, so I doubt it is a hardware problem.

As always: Ask for any files, info, whatever you need to narrow this down, I'm happy to send it.

Regards,
Marc

we will release 0.9beta2 soon (this week) including a new Kernel and new versions of KVM and also qemu server. so please update and test again.

Are you sure it sits 'forever'? Normally, qemu-server sends an ACPI shutdown request to the VM, and wait until the VM stops.

It waits a maximum 3 minutes, then it kills all VMs.

- Dietmar

Is that "kill vm" variable set somewhere? I watched my machine this morning for over 5 minutes, it was indeed waiting forever. And I also tested a CentOS VM (Trixbox) on it and it was responding normally for the entire 5 minutes I waited, so the ACPI shutdown seemed to be ineffective.

Is that "kill vm" variable set somewhere? I watched my machine this morning for over 5 minutes, it was indeed waiting forever.

What kill variable? You ned to install a acpi daemon (acpid) inside the VM.

(or even better, use an openvz container instead)

- Dietmar

I was speaking of the QEMU config that tells the QEMU server to wait X minutes before killing all active KVMs.

However, my Win2k3 KVM also didn't shutdown, so it looks like something else might be up with QEMU (obviously nothing wrong with PVE, though).

Ill see if theres other QEMUers that have witnessed similar behavior.

has to be an issue in one of the surrounding libraries.
Reinstalled: not able to shut down. Gave up after 10mins. no Qemu VM running.(!)
did an update of the base system ("apt-get dist-upgrade"), apparently nothing PVE specific was installed, but now everything is as it should be. When there is no VM running, shutdown is immediate. When a Qemu VM is running then on shutdown it waits about 3min, then forcibly kills all the VMs and shuts down the system properly.
Weird.

Greetings,
Marc

Interesting, perhaps Ill dist-upgrade one of my nodes to test this.. Ideally the KVM would shutdown via ACPI, but I can deal with a 3 minute killall for now if this does the trick.

Did anyone find a solution to the acpi problem in Win Server 2003?

Should we disable ACPI until this is fixed?

Last edited:
Yes, it's a (obvious) feature of Win2k3 server

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy, Local Policies -> Security Options, Shutdown: Allow system to be shutdown without having to login e activate the policy.

That's all :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!