Server Crashing since upgrade

John Allison

Feb 1, 2018
Gateshead UK
www.adlinktech.com
[SOLVED]

One of our Dell Proxmox servers has crashed 3 times over the last couple of weeks, following the application of some recent(ish) updates. Prior to this the server was working fine.

Its a poweredge R630 with:
CPU(s): 64 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2683 v4 @ 2.10GHz (2 Sockets)
Kernel Version: Linux 4.15.18-14-pve #1 SMP PVE 4.15.18-39 (Wed, 15 May 2019 06:56:23 +0200)
PVE Manager Version: pve-manager/5.4-6/aa7856c5

The BIOS reports:
CPU 1 machine check error detected.

The linux log files dont contain any clues.

How can i find out whats happening and get it fixed?
I dont want to have to reinstall as this machine contains some pretty big VM's.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, firmware was up to date, creashing only happened once a week or so, seems like when the server was under heavy load.
I think its all sorted now tho, contacted Dell support and they analysed the bios logs and identified an issue with one of the 32GB ram chip. Was advised to reseat the chip, and thats when i noticed it wasnt clipped into place correctly! doh!

i'm glad the issue is gone. you can mark the thread [SOLVED] if you edit your first post.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!