Server Comes to almost a Halt

Danielc1234

Jan 10, 2010
For some reason our server's sites will come to almost a complete halt or stop. Sometimes we even get errors that you cannot connect to the sites.In our proxmox log when this is happening, we are getting this warning.pvedaemon 5886 WARNING: Cannot encode 'meminfo' element as 'hash'. Will be encoded as 'map' insteadIs something going on here that I need to address? This brings our sites to a dead stand still.ThanksDaniel

Hi,
the error has nothing to do with the server-halt (should be harmless). I guess it's has something to do with the hardware. Often trouble makes PSUs (a little spike is sometime enough) or the memory.

Are there infos in the ipmi-log?

Udo

Code:
[COLOR=#333333]Are there infos in the ipmi-log?[/COLOR]

I'm not familiar with this log file. Is that the exact name and where is it usually stored?

In my pveam.log I see this...

Code:
[GNUPG:] IMPORT_OK 0 9ABD7E02AD243AD3C2FBBCCCB0C1CC225CAC72FE
[GNUPG:] IMPORT_RES 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Dec 27 06:25:04 start download http://download.proxmox.com/appliances/aplinfo.dat.asc
Dec 27 06:25:04 download failed: 500 Can't connect to download.proxmox.com:80 (Bad hostname 'download.proxmox.com')
Dec 27 06:25:04 update failed - no signature
Dec 28 06:25:09 starting update
Dec 28 06:25:09 start download http://download.proxmox.com/appliances/aplinfo.dat.asc
Dec 28 06:25:09 download failed: 500 Can't connect to download.proxmox.com:80 (Bad hostname 'download.proxmox.com')
Dec 28 06:25:09 update failed - no signature
Dec 29 06:25:05 starting update
Dec 29 06:25:05 start download http://download.proxmox.com/appliances/aplinfo.dat.asc
Dec 29 06:25:05 download failed: 500 Can't connect to download.proxmox.com:80 (Bad hostname 'download.proxmox.com')
Dec 29 06:25:05 update failed - no signature

Hi,
this is not on the pve-system because this rebootet without to have a chance to save anything.
It's depends on your hardware if you have an service-processor (some vendors called ilom - integrated lights out management). Normaly you can connect to the ilom with an service ethernet port. There you can see values for voltages/fan-speed/temperatures - healthy information - and also an log with perhaps helpfull information.

Udo

@Udo,

It doesnt look like our hardware has that option. :(

For performance sack, would I want to have setup our servers as KVM or VMs? We have the two servers, web and database setup on KVMs and the webserver's memory is always running around 85%.

@Udo,

It doesnt look like our hardware has that option. :(

For performance sack, would I want to have setup our servers as KVM or VMs? We have the two servers, web and database setup on KVMs and the webserver's memory is always running around 85%.
Hi,
with VMs you mean OpenVZ?! Other called CTs (container). OpenVZ-VMs has an smaller footprint (memory) and esp. for io it's much better (like mysql-server).

Udo

Saturated IO can cause the problems you describe.
For example, using lots of swap in the VM can cause IO to become saturated and the VMs on that machine can get very slow, I've seen it happen.
A disk with a bad sector can stall IO too.

A good sign of an IO problem is the load average on the proxmox server.
If it goes high when the VMs seem to be slow/dead, you very likely have an IO bottleneck/problem.

I have found that iotop is helpful in finding what is doing the disk IO.
You may notice that IO is very small like 3Mb/sec and think "well that is not a problem", don't be fooled.
Random IO can be very slow thus little throughput and still cause severe performance issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!