Serva and Proxmox (PXE Booting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito Reiter

Nov 3, 2016
I've created a VM in my Proxmox Cluster that I want to install Windows on via Serva (PXE Boot). My Serva is working and works on Virtual Box w/ Extension and will install windows, however I don't know how the PXE Implementation on Proxmox works and I keep receiving these errors: https://puu.sh/sdPu4/83e9ba2eb9.png Now, I've tried many different virtual hardware setups and I do have the drivers for the Network Card installed in the correct folders for Serva. This is my Vm Setup: https://puu.sh/sdPEA/057de7acc9.png This is an older version of Proxmox and I want to know if maybe in the newer version there was an upgraded NIC firmware. The NIC firmware is the only reason I can think I receive this error. Here is what the Serva site says about this error: https://puu.sh/sdPKV/f450345c8f.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-10_14-52-5.png
    upload_2016-11-10_14-52-5.png
    188 KB · Views: 34
Proxmox uses the iPXE roms included with Qemu.

I don't know ;) I simply responded to "however I don't know how the PXE Implementation on Proxmox works". we don't use our own PXE implementation, but iPXE (http://ipxe.org/start). I would suggest checking out Serva's documentation in that regard. You can also try different virtual network card types.

also please don't post stuff as screenshots that can easily be posted as text (vm configuration, "qm config ID") or links (like the Serva home page).

The standard is PXE not iPXE... All the virtual environments out there net boot PXE;
Probably it would be a good idea having proxmox booting the PXE standard and boot iPXE as an option.

Serva needs the client net booting PXE.

The standard is PXE not iPXE... All the virtual environments out there net boot PXE;
Probably it would be a good idea having proxmox booting the PXE standard and boot iPXE as an option.

iPXE is a full PXE implementation enhanced with additional features.

iPXE is a full PXE implementation enhanced with additional features.

In real life this is just not true;
1) A client booting iPXE is not identical to a client booting standard PXE.
2) A virtual client booting iPXE does not even really boot (full) iPXE http://forum.ipxe.org/showthread.php?tid=7410

As I've said before; most of the virtual environments out there net boot standard PXE, if iPXE is "really" needed it can be chainloaded; proxmox should do the same.

Implementing iPXE "by default" is just bad engineering.

Last edited:
As I've said before; most of the virtual environments out there net boot standard PXE, if iPXE is "really" needed it can be chainloaded; proxmox should do the same.

Implementing iPXE "by default" is just bad engineering.

AFAIK all qemu/KVM based hypervisors use iPXE (include with qemu sources) ... Works out of the box for me and many other people.

AFAIK all qemu/KVM based hypervisors use iPXE (include with qemu sources) ... Works out of the box for me and many other people.

Micrososft (Hyper-V, etc)
VMware (ESXi, Workstation, Fusion, etc)
Citrix (XenServer, XenClient, etc)
Plus 99.99...% of all the PCs out there net boot PXE.

In this case I humbly think that "having more features" (that not always work) has been a mantra
for long time recited by iPXE coders/supporters but there are other factors like stability and standardization
that make the big players preferring PXE.

At the end of the day why do you want a client booting iPXE??? just to HTTP transfer an NBP that is surely not bigger than a couple of megs (UEFI)??? remember if you are booting MS stuff their bootmanagers use accelerated TFTP (RCF 7440) but not HTTP. It makes no much sense.
I think booting PXE and then chainloading to iPXE if necessary (or if you want it presenting iPXE booting as an "alternative") is the way to go for a booting client. iPXE never replaced PXE.
Yes I know you have to code a set of ROMs instead of just taking them from Qemu but it is not that hard.

Last edited:
It is unclear to me what you want to suggest. Where can I find an open source PXE implementation which works with SeaBIOS and can replace the current iPXE ROM?

1) It is pretty clear that I want to suggest that the net ROMs used by proxmox
implement what I humbly consider a wrong approach; booting non-standard iPXE by default.

2) The fact that you do not know how to get PXE booting ROMs does not make
the available iPXE ROMs the best suited for the task. Then please stop blindly supporting iPXE just
because it is the only thing you got.

3) I know first hand i.e. VMware has "coded" their PXE ROMs based on the available Intel PXE ROMs.

Last edited:
2) The fact that you do not know how to get PXE booting ROMs does not make
the available iPXE ROMs the best suited for the task. Then please stop blindly supporting iPXE just
because it is the only thing you got.

For the record, we have a PXE compatible implementation (iPXE). If you find a bug, please
report it (and try to fix it). You suggestion to remove iPXE makes simple no sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!