Sender Rate Limit to Prevent SPAM

cgonsalves

Mar 16, 2021
Hello,

I would like to set per-hour/per-user limit for sent mails, can this done with Proxmox Mail Gateway?

If yes where and how can I implement the limits?

Clifford

There are no such limits, not implemented.

There are no such limits, not implemented.
Hello Tom,

I think this is a very important feature which should be added in the next version.
We are planning to implement 5 SMTP gateways in a cluster but must have sender based rate limits to prevent spam.

Clifford

Reactions: ananiasfilho
@cgonsalves
You need do this on your MTA.
If you use zimbra, enable PolycD
- In portuguese [ Great Tutorial ] - https://respirandolinux.com.br/2019/05/01/zimbra-implementando-o-policyd-parte-1/

If you use another MTA, check how implement it on your MTA.

Also, i agree its a great FEATURE to be included on PMG since we can use PMG as Outgoing Mail Gateway to:
- Websites (send forms contacts)
- CRM
- Projects Management Tools
- Billings systems
- Monitoring Tools (Zabbix, Nagios, Cacti, etc)
- Deployment tools (Gitlab)
and many others tools and services.

@tom , how is possible we start a "New feature request" about this topic/item? Do you think we can have success about this request?

If necessary i can help on deployment procedures and tests.

@cgonsalves
You need do this on your MTA.
If you use zimbra, enable PolycD
- In portuguese [ Great Tutorial ] - https://respirandolinux.com.br/2019/05/01/zimbra-implementando-o-policyd-parte-1/

If you use another MTA, check how implement it on your MTA.

Also, i agree its a great FEATURE to be included on PMG since we can use PMG as Outgoing Mail Gateway to:
- Websites (send forms contacts)
- CRM
- Projects Management Tools
- Billings systems
- Monitoring Tools (Zabbix, Nagios, Cacti, etc)
- Deployment tools (Gitlab)
and many others tools and services.

@tom , how is possible we start a "New feature request" about this topic/item? Do you think we can have success about this request?

If necessary i can help on deployment procedures and tests.
Thank's a lot I was looking for this feature and didn't know policyd !

I think implementing this in PMG should be discussed, It might be added as a rule in mail filtre combining a list of address in "Who" object and Action object.

Regards

Reactions: ananiasfilho
I must say that PMG is missing a very very important feature of rate control and must be implement in the next version!! Outgoing SPAM can be controlled very easily if the rate control is implemented.

Reactions: flames
Hello there,

PMG's intended use is to monitor SPAM traffic. The simplest solution to this is to have hourly, daily and monthly total mail sending limitations. We have directed many servers to PMG and we aim to manage traffic from there. Our aim is to reduce SPAM mail traffic in our network and to have 100% inbox of sent mails. If this is not possible via PMG GUI, it can be done by writing /32 based minute and hour rules with iptables rules. I haven't tried this yet but I think it might be a temporary solution.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!