Selective Restore Feature

Can we ask for a selective restore for VM's with multiple disks?

Use case: 1 VM with 2 Disks.
Disk 1 OS and Typical files - 200GB
Disk 2 Data storage for application - 1TB

If the corruption for the VM is only in the OS disk I would like the ability to selectively restore just the OS disk. Even if I have to only restore to a separate VM ID. I had to wait 10 hours for a slow restore to get data off an os Disk that was tied to a 1TB secondary disk. I know increasing the restore speed is top priority and that would have resolved this mostly.

I also saw the post in the dev group about live vm restores and that would be super helpful as well because I would have let the restore run long enough to get the data I needed off the OS disk and then killed the restore.

you can just power down the VM, then restore your desired single disk as raw image with proxmox-backup-client - either restore it directly over the existing raw disk/volume, or into a temp file and then qemu-img convert/qm importdisk. as with all manual disk manipulations, read twice before hitting enter, and when in doubt, try with a test guest first as you can absolutely overwrite the wrong thing and lose valuable data and/or time.

Hi fabian

I had the same issue and solution as mmidgett. As I understand mmidgett correctly, he tries to restore a single disk from a backup made with the Proxmox VE Integration PBS backup solution. Not with proxmox-backup-client, right?

Can you provide an example how to restore a single disk?

I just found the command to restore a whole VM including all disks
qmrestore foo-nas-storage:backup/vm/307/2021-03-24T00:00:01Z 333 --storage extDataPool

Best regards,
Matthi

yeah, that is not available (yet).

you can access the backup with proxmox-backup-client though to extract a single raw disk image (or multiple single disk images, or the associated VM and firewall config), and then use that image to overwrite your existing disk to achieve a selective restore.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!