Seeking Advice on GPU Passthrough Switching Between Proxmox Host and LXC Container

HinoByte

Dec 28, 2023
Hello Proxmox Community,

I am currently working on a project where I need to passthrough a GPU to an LXC container on a Proxmox host. I have successfully followed the steps outlined in this guide: Nvidia GPU Passthrough to LXC Container in Proxmox, and the GPU is now accessible within my container. However, I've encountered an issue that I'm struggling to resolve on my own.

Current Situation:

• I've successfully passed the GPU through to the LXC container.
  • The GPU functions in the container, but the Proxmox host system still uses the same GPU for console output.
My Goal:

• I aim to achieve a setup where the GPU output switches between the Proxmox host and the LXC container. Similar to how it works with GPU passthrough to a VM, where the host stops using the GPU when the VM is active.
  • I need the Proxmox host to stop outputting to the GPU when the container is running, allowing the container to take over the GPU output.
  • Additionally, I plan to use the container in a graphical mode in the future, which makes resolving this issue even more essential.
Questions for the Community:

1. Is there a way to configure Proxmox and the LXC container to achieve this kind of output switching, especially for graphical use?
  2. What settings or configuration changes are needed for the host to completely relinquish GPU usage when the container is active?
  3. Has anyone tackled a similar challenge or can offer any solutions?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!