[SOLVED] SDN traffic allowed

chrisp250

Dec 16, 2022
Hi,
I have installed two Proxmox nodes set up as a cluster. I also set up SND with 2 VNETs on a VXLAN zone.
On each node I set up an OPNSense firewall with three network interfaces, two of them on different VNETs, and a third one directly on a Proxmox bridge interface not using SDN.

When I tried to set up high availability between the two firewalls to keep the configurations in sync, I found this would only work over the bridge interface and not on either of the SDN interfaces. I checked OPNsense's configuration and all 3 interfaces seem to be configured the same (different IP addresses obviously), firewall rules are all the same, allow all traffic. I can ping all interfaces, I can use the OPNSense web console over either interface.

This leads me to believe there might be some sort of restriction on the traffic allowed over SDN. As I understand. the synchronisation protocol used by the router is pfsync, which is neither UDP or TCP, but defined as IP protocol 212. Is it possible this might not be supported at this stage by Proxmox's SDN?

I would love to know if anyone was able to have OPNsense high availability working over a SDN VXLAN and whether there is anything special required on Proxmox to allow it.

Thank you in advance.

check your mtu. (if your physical network is 1500, you should have 1450 maximum for your vm)
That did it. Much appreciate your help.

So to summarise...
The Proxmox NIC is set to 1500, Proxmox bond (vmbr1) set to 1500, the VXLAN zone needs to be set to 1450, the vm interface config on Proxmox set to 1450 and inside the vm OPNSense interface set to 1450. Correct?

Thank you again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!