SD card size

bradmc

Jan 16, 2013
Hello, I just bought a new Dell R620 with redundant, internal SD cards. I plan to install PVE on these (no VM's). The internal disks will be used for VM's. What size is needed to install PVE? I have installed 4GB cards, but PVE will not install because of space. What is the minimum size needed for PVE to install? I plan on getting the fasted SD card available. Thanks!

My Proxmox 3.3 take 7Gb, so You can buy a 8Gb SD card but the fastest (<90mb/s) start to 16 Gb.

pls report back how the install and behaviour of the system is when its installed on the dell internal dual sd module.
i plan to do the same and thought of these SD cards: http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/sd/extremepro-sdxc-sdhc-uhs-ii/ (in 32gig version)

1°) Proxmox is a fork of debian distro, so you can follow a tuto for install mdadm and configure soft RAID1 on existing debian system:
http://www.debian-tutorials.com/setting-up-raid1-on-an-existing-debian-squeeze-installation

or

2°) You can use material raid1 with card recognized by Proxmox kernel 2.6

It is not recommanded to use USB stick or CF card or SD because theses devices have not a controller for optimize the nand life as a SSD Drive which fragment data on the entire media and avoid always write in the same place to limit wear.

Other reason, Proxmox is not optimized for limit write access (use RAMdisk for temporally file rather a physical disk)

Last reason the price: Little SSD Drive are cheapest that CF or SD Card and have best performances.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!