scp cloned VM to second proxmox server

loadedmind

Jun 23, 2014
Hey all. We have two proxmox servers, each running version 3.1-21. I wanted to clone a VM and push it over to the other server so I scp -r the directory over. Since the number of the folder corresponded to one on the second server, I mv'ed the number to the next one in sequence not already taken so as not to overwrite an existing VM on the second server. The issue is, I'm not sure what voodoo needs to be configured to get the GUI to see that newly-cloned VM from the first server. When I do a qm status <VMID>, it returns:
qm status 123
no such VM ('123')

Yet, when I ls the images directory, I can confirm that it does indeed exist:
ls
100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 125 200

I've reviewed the qm man pages for each option, but I don't see anything that might tell the second server to "enable" the newly cloned VM.

Anyone done this before? Perhaps I'm just not doing it right or there's a configuration file on the second server I need to modify to tell it to "see" that VM?

Ok, so what's the correlation? Where do they live? Or, perhaps the question I should be asking is, "What should the process of cloning a Proxmox VM and moving it to another Proxmox server look like?"

Hey all. We have two proxmox servers, each running version 3.1-21. I wanted to clone a VM and push it over to the other server so I scp -r the directory over. Since the number of the folder corresponded to one on the second server, I mv'ed the number to the next one in sequence not already taken so as not to overwrite an existing VM on the second server. The issue is, I'm not sure what voodoo needs to be configured to get the GUI to see that newly-cloned VM from the first server. When I do a qm status <VMID>, it returns:
qm status 123
no such VM ('123')

Yet, when I ls the images directory, I can confirm that it does indeed exist:
ls
100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 125 200

I've reviewed the qm man pages for each option, but I don't see anything that might tell the second server to "enable" the newly cloned VM.

Anyone done this before? Perhaps I'm just not doing it right or there's a configuration file on the second server I need to modify to tell it to "see" that VM?
Hi,
you must also copy the VM-config.

scp oldnode:/etc/pve/qemu-server/123.conf newserver:/etc/pve/qemu-server/

Ok, thanks all! I figured it out. One thing that was a little disconcerting is when I mv the <VMID.conf> file over to /etc/pve/qemu-server/, I get the following output:
-----Begin Paste-----
mv: failed to preserve ownership for `/etc/pve/qemu-server/123.conf': Function not implemented
mv: preserving permissions for `/etc/pve/qemu-server/123.conf': Function not implemented
-----End Paste-----

Is this as designed?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!