Scheduled backup failing

alex3137

Jan 19, 2015
Hello.

I have a partition for backups but it is not large enough for two copies of each VM. I set Max Backup = 1 in the storage options to prevent that.

Proxmox tries to create a new archive and then delete the old one for a scheduled backup. It fails when there is no enough storage available to create a second archive for a VM that had a backup previously created.

Is it be possible to change this order so it deletes the old backup first and then create a new one ?

What is the point of having backups? In this scenario, you want to automatically delete your ONLY backup?

Yes, I want to delete the old backup to be able to create a newer version. Backups are then transferred to another server every week.

Yes, I want to delete the old backup to be able to create a newer version. Backups are then transferred to another server every week.

Deleting the only existing backup before creating a new one is a disaster waiting to happen. You might as well only backup once a week and delete this backup after transferring it to your other server.

I considered it but some VMs are quite large and will take some time to transfer it from a server to the other. Whereas if I have a local copy I can restore it quickly so I would like to avoid deleting the backup after the transfer.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!