SATA link down - HDDs disappeared

co-creater

Jun 10, 2024
Hello friendly people,

I made probably some huge doodoo and could need your help. :-/
First of all: I have no physical access to my server atm.
I had issues with my Wireshark service on my Fritz!Box so I decided to install pivpn on an LXC container on my PVE 8.2.4. After having set up the container, I SSHed into … my PVE host! Don‘t ask me why, I was not concentrated I guess. Well, there I executed the installation script of pivpn:
Code:
curl -L https://install.pivpn.io | bash

It requires a reboot which I did. Then I recognized what I did and hit `pivpn uninstall` after the reboot and then rebooted again. Since then I cannot see my phyiscal HDDs anymore, only the SSD which holds the PVE OS files and some LXC/VM data. The disks have vanished from the „Disks“ section. The logs show a „SATA link down“ message (sorry for the screenshot but with my iPad it is impossible to copy syslog messages from the WebUI):
Bildschirmfoto 2024-08-03 um 21.39.40.png

I found here in the forum a thread which recommends adding
Code:
intel_iommu=pt
to the grub file which I did but it did not help. Since I have no physical access I cannot check whether the drives appear in on the hosts BIOS.
It is a weird coincidence that this happened after my pivpn adventure but for sure it *could* be that something is wrong with the hardware too (not even a year old). Do you have any ideas or hints I could look for from the distance?

Cheers

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!