Sanity check on Intel NUC

IsThisThingOn

Nov 26, 2021
Hi guys!

I currently do my backups to a NFS share on TrueNAS. But since the TrueNAS also sits in my home, I cloud sync it up to OneDrive from there.

In the future I would like to switch to PBS instead, mostly just for fun of trying out new things. I have an unused i5 8th gen NUC and was thinking about buying a single 2TB nvme drive for that thing and put it in my friends home. I would use ext4 and that single disk.

Here is my internal dialogue, would love to hear some sanity check from you guys :)

- One disk is fine. Software and hardware RAID also can fail. Also, I will probably never use that backup. And the chances of my PVS failing and that drive failing at the same time, are almost non existent.

- ext4 instead of ZFS. ZFS does some potential double writes with ZIL? Since PBS does integrity checks on its own, I don't really need that from ZFS. I can't really profit from ARC when I have a startup and shutdown timer in BIOS.

- It has to be an SSD instead of a HDD, since there are so many small files read to check for changes.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!