SAN shared directory (Proxmox v2.0 rc1)

Jina Kumar

Feb 22, 2012
Switzerland
Hello,

I have a some concern about my installation

I’ve installed 2 servers with Proxmox v2.0 rc1 and now I am trying to create a two-node cluster with high availability (I’ve read the documentation for that).
Each server has its own system partition and they both share a data partition located on the SAN (connected with fibre channel).
On that shared partition I’ve created a shared directory with the Central Web-based Management.
My target is do fencing between the servers.

Is that correct or have you got a better idea?

Any idea is welcome
Thank you

Last edited:
Each server has its own system partition and they both share a data partition located on the SAN (connected with fibre channel).
On that shared partition I’ve created a shared directory with the Central Web-based Management.
My target is do fencing between the servers.

Is that correct or have you got a better idea?
Hi,
not realy. Normaly you provide an disk via SAN (iSCSI/FC) to the nodes. You have to create an volumegroup on this disk and add this as lvm-storage in the pve-gui. Your vm-disks will be created as logical volumes on this volume-group.

If you use an filesystem on the shared disk (I don't mean nfs-shares) you need an cluster-fs (to mount on several nodes) - in other cases you will get data-loss!

Udo

How can I do this?

Why is an shared disk with lvm-storage not ok?

And how to do this: depends on your storage.

If you realy wan't a "real" filesystem use nfs, or play with an cluster-fs (I don't have experience with cluster-fs).
I prefer lvm-storage (I use this with FC and some nodes for years (since shared storage is available in pve).

Udo

It doesn't work with HA cluster

KVM:
task started by HA resource agent
TASK ERROR: volume 'SAN:116/vm-116-disk-1.raw' does not exist

OpenVZ:
task started by HA resource agent
Starting container ...
Container private area /var/lib/vz/private/111 does not exist
TASK ERROR: command 'vzctl start 111' failed: exit code 43

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!