Samba Client - Unable to set current process capabilities

c0utta

Dec 31, 2011
Hi guys,

4 days ago I'd never heard of Proxmox having used VMWare in a corporate environment for many years. What a great piece of software - well done!

I'll post some other questions, but this is the one that's driving me crazy at the moment - hardware is a HP MicroServer which has a 2 x AMD Turion Neo Dual-Core Processor.

I have installed the v2.0 beta and downloaded the Debian 6.0 Standard amd64 template, created a container, updated and upgraded. Then I installed samba-common, smbfs and smbclient via apt-get am trying to enable the Samba client but get the following message:

Unable to set current process capabilities: Operation not permitted

I've Googled everything I can think of but can't come up with an answer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

c0utta

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response. I followed the link and did some reading about veth vs venet and I assume that the bridged networking was required. I looked at FAQ entry 4.1 How do I configure bridged networking in an OpenVZ Ubuntu/Debian container? - I assume this was what is required?

I did a clean install of 1.9, created the container, apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and then installed the Samba client. Same result "Unable to set current process capabilities: Operation not permitted" when trying to do a "mount -t smbfs ..."

Am I on the right track?

Thanks,

c0utta

dietmar,

Thanks for the link - that's exactly what I'm trying to do. You don't even need Samba installed on the client to achieve it.

Sort of embarrasing though - the post was over 5 years old!

Thanks again,

c0utta

I have another *related* question, but am happy to create a new post either way.

I have used bind mounts as per the instructions provided by dietmar, but I now have a more generic question about permissions on the host system and access from containers. I'm happy to be just directed to an explanation but I've trawled the OpenVZ wiki and can't find my answer (or I don't know what I'm looking for)

Assuming you have disk /mnt/data mounted via /etc/fstab on the host which has permissions 770, with owner/group hostuser/hostuser.

/mnt/data has been mounted in container 100 via 100.mount as /mnt/host, but since hostuser is not a valid user in the container you see permissions 770, with owner/group 1000/1000.

If I then change permissions in container 100 as root, the permissions back on the host change and the owner/group changes.

Bearing in mind that I'm using bind mounts, is there a way to synchronise users between the host and container(s)?

Thanks,

c0utta

Bearing in mind that I'm using bind mounts, is there a way to synchronise users between the host and container(s)?

Only access the files from inside the guest ;-)

I am not sure, but maybe you can use winbind to map users ids.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!